Refilling Canon TS8160 TS9160 Carts.

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
CANON ts8160 MG5150
Can you use the German method to refill the PGI-680 & CLI 681 (6 carts PHOTO BLACK, & PHOTO BLUE.)
Canon sell these sets of 6 as ONLY FOR TS 8160 & 9160 canon printers

I have the TS8160 the only come with a set-up set of carts!

Can you refill set-up carts??

I have ordered a set of XXL carts. can you re-fill these using the German method ?

Thnx.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Welcome to the forum, 1080. You have wasted no time getting your money's worth out of your membership's first post! :thumbsup

Can you use the German method to refill the PGI-680 & CLI 681
Yes. The Durchstitch method can be used on any of these single color sponged Canon cartridges as far as I know. The forum wisdom holds that top fill method is better for Canon's sponged cartridges.

Yes.

Is there a chip resetter for these cartridge models? If not, you will need to override automatic ink level monitoring and then manually monitor ink levels and refill. The forum consensus is to refill when ink has been used up, or nearly used up, in the spongeless portion of the cartridge. This would equate to a "Low" warning, no "Empty". The idea is that repeated loss of ink in the sponge will lead to a paradoxical decrease in ink re-uptake in the sponge due to foam that blocks ink re-adsorption. A flush of the cartridge with water will cure the foam issue.

I have ordered a set of XXL carts. can you re-fill these using the German method ?
Same holds as for the regular size.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I would say if there’s no resetter for those 680/681 cartridges, then it would make more economic sense to use aftermarket cartridges instead of refilling the OEM’s.

Because overriding the ink monitoring on this type of printer will use and waste a horrendous amount of ink on purging and you’ll be refilling forever, and it doesn’t take much to fill the waste counter, then it’s time for a new printer... :(

buccarasta

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Cannoc TS8160
I'm a newbie, but have a similar ? pls. We used to have a Canon MP970, refilled our own cartridges. So when the printer died (after only 14 years!) I had $00 worth of ink left.
Bought the TS8160, and would like to know how to refill the cartridges. Old method was drill hole in top of cart, block sponge outlet with special cap, refill, then hot glue gun to seal top hole.
Been trying to find out about the "German method" frequently mentioned, but can't seem to get any info.
Could someone assist pls?
TIA

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I think the German refill method works best with the older transparent or at least windowed cartridges. By holding the newer opaque cartridges upside down and at an angle and watching the prism when injecting ink it might be possible to see when the ink reservoir is filled. This works for the opaque PGI-x25/CLI-x26 cartridges. I have not refilled newer cartridges than these using the German method. I have refilled a few OEM and aftermarket PGI-550 and CLI-551 cartridges using the topfill method.

I think the PGI-x70/CLI-x71 and PGI-x80/CLI-x81 are so similar to the PGI-x50/CLI-x51 cartridges that this instruction also applies. It is in German, but here is a translation to English. Here is one more instruction in English.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
@buccarasta

The forum consensus is that the top fill method is superior to the Durchstich method in cartridges, at least for cartridges newer than the old CLI-8 design. Some hold that the top fill method is superior because it does not alter sponge architecture that may inhibit ink flow or create a channel under the sponge (where the needle traverses) that could become a potential air lock that disrupts ink flow.

Regardless of the method you use for refilling, the issue of ink level monitoring still needs to be addressed. I do not see a chip resetter available for the CLI-681 in my brief Google search. I did see a clear top fill aftermarket cartridge sold with "disposable" single use chips that you replace after they are marked empty, but I don't know where you buy the "disposable" chips.

Unless you can find a chip resetter or "disposable" chips or suitable ARC chips then you will need to use single-use Canon or aftermarket cartridges to retain ink level monitoring or else be forced to turn off ink level monitoring to reuse a cartridge.