Refilling and replacing HP 953 carts and resetting levels

Peter W

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WF-7720DTWF
Hi all,

I bought an Officejet Pro 7740 recently and have been pretty happy with it. Now the setup carts are starting to run out I'm ready to start replacing them with pigment-refilled (original HP) 953XLs. But there is contradictory info on the Web.

1. Octopus video states it's essential to wait for the "depleted" message before replacing the cart. They don't say what happens if you don't wait for it. I did this, and the printer grudgingly accepts it, so I can print but the level indicates empty. How can I ever see another "depleted" message if the printer isn't estimating the level?

2. Another Web page states that if I switch the printer off and on with the front panel switch 5 times, the memory will reset and assume all the carts are full. It doesn't.

3. Yet another page tells me to always replace a depleted cartridge with another empty original HP cartridge for up to 30 seconds, but not more, then remove it and insert the refilled cart.

This is so confusing. Does anyone have experience of these things?

Another prob I had, though I suspect I know the fault and solution, is that after refilling the cyan, the magenta became dark purple, It seems I may have overfilled the cyan (trying to get the max amount of ink in that would fit) and there was a cross bleed from the overpressured cyan to magenta. At least that's what I think.

I did call HP tech support and of course they told me to use original carts, until I reminded them that HP themselves do admit the use of refilled carts is possible. But an hour on the phone was no help. The chap said it was impossible for ink to bleed from one cartridge to another, but I saw what I saw.

Anyway the main point of this post is, how to reset ink levels after replacement?

Thanks for any insights

Peter