refillable 250xl & 251xl carts with auto reset chips

pearlhouse

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon mx892 & mx922
Need an update… Been away from this refilling for a while. Are there any refillable carts out their 251xl and 250xl that have chip that will auto reset when the cart is removed or refilled. The ones I have now the carts have to be completely empty so the prism on the bottom sees no ink in the tank. This means they must be almost completely empty. I m tired of having to wait till I see the red warning symbol and then have to stop what Im doing to refill so I don’t burn out my print head. I would much rather fill all carts at the same time and restart with a full set of carts.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@pearlhouse, Anyone using 250/251 refillables are having to watch their print output carefully, because these refillables tend to suffer from ink starvation after only one or two refills.

The safer and dearer option is to use OEM XL carts and refill them in combination with a resetter, it’s the only way to insure continued and sustained ink flow and to protect the print head, but maybe a cheaper route would be to get a Pro 100 or Pro 10 while there on huge discounts, right now...

pearlhouse

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon mx892 & mx922
Hey Hat,
When I first got this printer I was told the XLs could not be refilled easily and their chips were not resettable???. So that why Mikling sold me a set of his refillables with Arc chips. These chips only reset if you run the cart completely dry. I would like to be able to refill the whole set at once and then reset them as full all at once.If there is something new now available please lead me to some info on them. I never looked at the "PROS" because I need a printer that does it all, Scans, Prints Dvds, Duplex printing that has refillable resettable carts.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
They only reset when the printer has driven the electronic level to empty . I would NEVER tell you to run them dry and actually propose you top them off occasionally.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
@pearlhouse,The Canon Pro printers can now print DVD’s in the US, they can do Duplex manually and you can fill the carts and use a redsetter, but unfortunately, they don’t scan, the Pro 10 carts are Childs play to refill.

You could get a set of dirt cheap refilled compatibles for your current printer and only use that for scanning and don’t print, and use the Pro printer for everything else, getting XL carts and a resetter for the 551 carts would be mighty expensive, but doable...:hu

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
With a set of PGI-550/CLI-551 refillable cartridges with ARC chips I have experienced the indicated and actual ink levels come out of sync. There was less ink in the cartridge than indicated, so periodic visual inspection and topping up is recommended.

pearlhouse

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon mx892 & mx922
What I meant by "dry" empty to the point where the RED signal comes on. I assume there isn't much ink left cept whatever is left in the sponge. I don't like the idea of using this ink in the sponge which might change the way it can hold ink when it is replenished. Can I assume the RED signal will continue to work even if I refill before it comes on which will be showing me a false ink amount up until the this RED signal comes. This means the RED signal is controlled by the prism not seeing any ink.??:idunno
Who has the best deals in USA on these pro 100 and pro 10s right now.:thumbsup

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The refillable cartridges come in more variations and some might be better than others. With those I tested I got yellow ink starvation even if the ink level was indicated 50%:

MG5550 ink levels 050317.jpg

And the purge page showing the yellow ink starvation:

MG5550 Yellow ink starvation.jpg

I would not rely on the ink level indication or the red cartridge LED to tell when the cartridge should be refilled. I strongly suggest to also periodically check the cartridges visually. Also keep an eye on print quality and stop at the first signs of ink starvation.

Last edited:

pearlhouse

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon mx892 & mx922
Thanx Peter BJ,
That's pretty much what I had determined but I thought I wasn't reading these yellow and red signals properly. So I guess Im just pretty much on my own with these things. I will just refill all carts at once to avoid wasting ink each time it runs a purge cycle... I have seen where a carts visible chamber is totally empty and the prism is exposed no ink and the red light has not yet come on. So I have to remove the cart and open the fill chamber for few seconds and then replace the whole thing so then the red light will come on. I can then refill it so it will once again show it is full. I have had an ink starvation problem with one cart but followed Miklings instructions to move the sponge away from the vertical partition to solve the problem. I have already had two other of these MX series printers and lost them both with burnt out printheads because I didn't know what I was doing. Now that I have become "educated" I have this new problem. I don't know where I would be without this website and all the help I get here. Thanx again.