Refill kits vs CISS

juntjoo

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
XP-960
I'm pretty new to all this. I've used a refill kit with my old cheap HP 3632 which uses the two 63 cartridges and it was a waste. I'm sure I did something wrong but somehow it ended up regardless of the level of ink the print heads would just dry up. Maybe it my use of rubbing alcohol to clean? Anyway, so now with my new Epson XP-960, super nice printer BTW from my short experience so far, I'm considering going the CISS route but from what I've learned so far it's an ugly setup with the lid having to be propped up all the time looking like something hospitalized hooked up to an IV system. So is it better than a good refill kit? How do these methods compare? Pros & Cons? I figure they both save you on cost of ink so if the difference is marginal it shouldn't matter. Reliability? I'd prefer the cleaner refill method if there is a good kit out there for my 227 cartridges. Or should I look into getting a laser printer(see my other thread) which we know(?) is cheaper by default and can print on whatever finish like the many posterboards I find locally. Thanks!

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Actually: the XP-960 is a terrible, if not impossible to be used with a CISS. It has everything to do with the way the construction of this machine. The better choice would be an Epson 1500W printer, if you would consider a CISS. Even refillables would be difficult because of the sponge based cartridges, which sooner or later will give flow problems, unless maintained well on a regular base (flushing the sponge material in order to prevent flow problems after some time of intensive usage).

juntjoo

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
XP-960
Actually: the XP-960 is a terrible, if not impossible to be used with a CISS. It has everything to do with the way the construction of this machine. The better choice would be an Epson 1500W printer, if you would consider a CISS. Even refillables would be difficult because of the sponge based cartridges, which sooner or later will give flow problems, unless maintained well on a regular base (flushing the sponge material in order to prevent flow problems after some time of intensive usage).
Thanks. This is all pretty new to me. So what is the alternative to sponge and are there cons to it also? I'll have to research that.

That Epson 1500 is a bit pricey though. I have seen a video or two for CISS systems for my printer so it appears possible. What about the Canon pro-100?

I don't need the best quality prints. Just a printer that will reliably print to heavy cardstock, and maintenance minimal, that's why I'm considering a sub $300 laser printer, but if I stick with inkjet for all the available bells and whistles(scanner/copier/display/superior/color photos) for around the same price...

... then we're looking at sponge cartridges vs ??

and CISS vs refill kits + chip resetter.

What do I need to know about the above choices?

If I don't mind the ugly CISS setup, is that better than refill kits?

Are the sponge cartridges really that bad or have any of you perfected a manageable worthy economical system? Pharmacist, you said maintenance after intensive usage. Well supposing I go intensive, which I should, what are we looking at? Monthly sponge cleaning?

Or is it really worth investigating non-sponge cartridge printer?

Laser printers are a whole other ball of wax right? Are they easier to maintain or should I just stay where I am since I've gone this far(plus I like this Epson)

Whatever input you guys can give I really appreciate it.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Forget about a CISS with a Canon inkjet printer. They require eternal vigilance and still have a high failure rate.

The Canon Pro-100 is a superb dye-based ink photographic printer. Will it fit your needs? Look at the specs for paper handling characteristics (type of card stock, weights, dimensions). Also, it is dye-based ink like your Epson (or HP, I do not recall specifically) which means the issue of poor ink handling by the paper you experienced before will most likely be similar with the Canon Pro-100 inks as @The Hat has told you in your other thread.

The Canon Pro-100 uses the CLI-42 cartridge that is easy to reset and refill.

Laser printers are fairly turnkey, turn them on and they work. The question, as I mentioned in your other thread, is whether the paper you are using can be fed through the printer, most likely a rear-fed tray that does essentially a straight pass through. If so, then you can judge if the resulting print looks OK to you.

Go to the store and try the printers out with the specific paper you will be using. They also may allow you to print an image from a USB stick you bring with you. Give the store a call and ask before you go.

juntjoo

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
XP-960
Thanks again. Okay, as the Canon has the same type of sponge cartridge that in itself wouldn't warrant the upgrade from the Epson I now have. But you said refills would be easy enough. Would this also be true of my Epson's 277 cartridges? Either way how do you determine this?

Laser printers. Well I like "turnkey" expression. I read people will just replace them once they run out of ink because of the costs to replace, if the printer itself is cheap enough. So that says something about the maintenance free nature and longevity of a cartridge. So...

If I can conclude this Epson will work well enough with refill kits and the HP laser will reliably take this cardstock it will a be a toss up really.

I like the wide prints. You can print a whole small sign at 11x17" or double up for a large one. I may have a use for signs but not necessary ATM. Has scanner which is a nice convenience. Less toys. But a laser printer capable of taking thick cardstock without all the maintenance..

Testing then out in the stores not so easy. I should call first to see which are on display and make sure I know how to print test pages for each one. And I've been learning actually and within each brand it's pretty much consistent. I think I've got HP and Canon down. Brother not yet. And each store has different models. And no USB stick needed. If they don't have a "test print" option they some 'print report' option. So I shall plan a day of store hopping to get this figured out. The HP Envy's, no rear tray, actually take the paper. I read this from users online (Amazon mostly) and found it hard to believe but it worked without obvious creases. Again tho, for how long as my old HP did too for only some time. But no matter really, as if I decide on inkjet I'm keeping the Epson, unless I learn the Envy works way better with refilling or CISS(??)

Thanks. I'm getting there. Will report back after my field trip..

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Any thoughts on this kit for the Epson?
I follow Canon products and have limited knowledge of Epsons. I cannot offer you advice on the specific model you are looking at or the aftermarket cartridges you linked. I can offer comments on general functions that are found.

The cartridges in your link have Auto Reset Chips (ARC chips) which are supposed to allow you maintain the printer's built in ink monitoring function to let you know when the cartridge is low or empty and needs to be refilled BEFORE ink runs all the way out. No chip resetter is needed because the ARC chip itself performs the reset. There is more than one way that an ARC chip functions but the result is supposed to be the printer is fooled into thinking the cartridge is OEM and brand new. Neither the chip nor the printer may be aware of how much ink is actually in the cartridge, just that the chip is reset to "full", so you must refill appropriately.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
those refill cartridges are of the ARC type - no resetter needed, they all reset at the time you take them out for fill up and insert them again. Typically such cartridges do not report to be genuine Epson carts but of an unknown brand and you get a nag screen by the driver warning you that you are using non-Epson consumables , but you can continue with a click.

juntjoo

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
XP-960
Thank yous

juntjoo

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
XP-960
From Amazon:

"Chris answered:
"I have a ciss system with this and it works alright so far. Getting all nozzles clear and flowing can take a bit of work initially in my experience. I have firmware version PL20H1 and auto reset chips have successfully reset once so far. My research left me unsure if all or only some non-oem cartridges will work with this printer."

For whatever it's worth