Refill 3rd Party Ink Cartridges? (Pro 100S)

Photographic Memory

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 100S
Hi there, this is my first post. I have just recently bought a new Canon Pro 100S. Before that I used the Pixma ix6550 (And before that Epson R1700 I think it was)
For the past 4 years on the Pixma I have been using 3rd party ink from RefreshCartridges co uk. They have worked well, but now I am researching Refillable Ink. I have studied Precision Inks and Octoink.
All seems a little complicated until I actually put in to practice and get over the initial learning curve hopefully. Well after contemplating and trying to digest existing information/advice/tutorials, a thought popped into my head which is what prompted me to sign up to this forum and ask the question…
Is it possible to use these 3rd Party Cartridges instead of OEM's? Has anyone done this before? What is the procedure? If allowed I can post the link to the Cartridges, they are on the Refresh Cartridges co uk website.
Thank you.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Welcome to the forum, Photo. Congratulations on your new Canon Pro 100s, a great printer!

Nothing is better or even matches the build quality and reliability of the OEM Canon cartridge, and are recommended for refill use.

Since you already have one set of CLI-42 cartridges, all you need to do is convert them for refill AND consider getting a second set o have ready to exchange for empties in the print head.

That said, third party cartridges can work fine, especially as a single use and then thrown away. Yes, there are third party cartridges that are being used for refilling. If you want to retain ink level monitoring function then your refill cartridges must have either resettable chips (using a chip resetter) or ARC chips (Automatic Reset Chip).

Since you are in the UK you need look no further than UK-based Octoink for your refilling needs. The owner is a trusted forum member @websnail and sells empty OEM Canon CLI-42 cartridges already set up for refilling. He also has inks and a chip resetter for your cartridges.

Precision Colors is owned by another trusted Forum member @mikling out of Canada. He also has all your refilling needs for the Pro-100s, though he sells third party cartridges instead of OEM.

Purchasing from either of these two web sites is highly recommended since they are known entities, each demonstrating their commitment to customer satisfaction over the years. Why buy elsewhere for the Pro-100s when you have proven execellent vendors who also are accessible here on the forum. Also, the ink from either Octoink or Precision Colors will more than likely be superior to that from just about anywhere else except for Canon itself.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Concerning refilling of your current set of virgin CLI-42 cartridges...

There are several ways people make a refill hole, usually on top of the cartridge, flush the old cartridge (generally not needed unless the cartridge has been sitting months or is of unknown history), drying the cartridge before refilling, and type of plugs to use to seal the refill hole.

There are instructions for this on Precision Colors: http://www.precisioncolors.com/PC42instruct.html Note the warning about flushing / using the original CLI-42 Yellow cartridge for refilling!!!

Also, forum member Jose Rodriguez has numerous instruction videos demonstrating how to convert a cartridge for refilling and more. A six part series beginning, I think, with https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5H9iyuMLdM

Last edited:

kdsdata

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-100 & Brother-L8900
I have gone the route of converting (me) from 3rd party carts to refilling. It has taken a number of months, but that's due to my sporadic efforts.

I had used 3rd party carts for 2-3 years, but even they became costly. On the good advice here, and YouTube, I purchased 2 sets of OEM carts, the chip resetter, and inks from OctoInk. I am pleased with the results, but please note that the CLI-42 carts are used and not flushed.

Again following all the good advice I did flush the carts, but only for the second set did I smarten up and wore gloves. I let the carts dry for considerable time (I had ink in the printer, so no rush).

I even spent the effort to flush the print head. That was prompted by some problems I had earlier with mixing inks, and the resulting dreaded gel issue. The print head, however, I did not let dry, I only flushed, first with Windex, let sit overnight, then flushed with clean water, immediately installed in printer and printed, with the new inks, the nozzle checks. It took only 4 check prints, and the patterns were nice, full coverage, and no streaks.

All-in-all I can only recommend the effort. It's very satisfying in the end. I am now very busy printing mega piles of family photos, and my wife is very happy. So all is as it should be :)

Photographic Memory

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 100S
Thank you so much for your replies. I have been lurking, studying intently on this new found wondrously innovative hobby I plan to take up.
I decided to purchase another set of OEM Carts, just to be safe and then…
Went ahead and ordered OctoInk's Refill Kit. So just to make sure, you guys know I am dedicated, and hope to join this community in a more active manner sometime in the near future - hopefully not with disastrously desperate cries for urgent help that I have somewhat got the syringe needle stuck in the cart or even worse the ink is leaking inside the Pro100S. I will bide my time and take the plunge (is there a pun in there?)
I have been debating whether to do this…
1 set OEM Carts (set-up?) - GERMAN METHOD
2nd set OEM Carts - TOP FILL.

How does that sound, this way I get a crash course (no pun there, please!) into the best of both worlds, and then decide which, at any given time, works for me.
I read somewhere on here that the Set-up Tanks [*may*] have a different Chip (not physically, just metadata-wise), this is why I chose to order a new "official" batch of Inks. Just to keep Canon happy, for now. That way I can slide under the radar, not raising any red flags, and get down to business.
Lastly, it's a shame here in the UK we are charged full whack for these machines and I almost cry when I keep seeing 'Pro 100 back on sale for $59 with rebates and handles of Premium Paper'. I even paid a few £'s more for the 100S and the very next day Amazon reduced the price.
Anyway, here is the message I wrote to OctoInk when Checking Out:
"Thank you Martin, I have done a lot of research during the past few weeks. You were recommended via DPReview and PrinterKnowledge, either you or Precision Colors. After using the ix6550 for the past few years (Epson R1800 and R1290 I think before that) I recently purchased the Pro 100S and there is no way I can afford over £80 a hit for new OEM Cartridges so what you guys (the Refill community) have pioneered surely promises to be a godsend. Thank you very much for your service, and looking forward to doing further business with you in the near future… Eddy"

Photographic Memory

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 100S
P.S. Do forgive my error, I made a mistake. Upon posting this, under Recent, a post is entitled 'Canon Pro 100 for $59', not $99 like I initially stated...
Wait for it…

Arrrrrrrgggggghhhhhh!!!!

OK, sorry about that. I am calm now. I need to be if I am about to pursue pin-point precision of penetrating (intersecting?) Ink Cartridges. No room for error.
(You gotta love these puns :) )

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
1 set OEM Carts (set-up?) - GERMAN METHOD
2nd set OEM Carts - TOP FILL.
If you intend refilling the CLI-42, I would ask Martin to throw in a CLl-8 cart with your order, so you can practice on that using water, instead of using the new CLl-42 carts, the German method does takes quite a bit of practice for newbies..

Photographic Memory

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 100S
Thank you Hat… what a great idea, never thought of that, yet seems so obvious now you suggest it.

Practice on a "dummy", trial run, build up muscle-memory, etc. Especially as I am so OCD (which can be a good thing when it comes to projects like this)…
Would Martin happen to read this so as hopefully before Shipping then please Martin can you do what The Hat suggests and throw in a CLI-8, or even a couple if they are readily available. I'd be happy to pay the extra if possible to include in this order…

My order ID is #23885, thanks again!

Must say, this forum is from what I have deemed early seems of the utmost "well mannered" and respectable community I have come across for quite some time now. I am most happy to abide :)

Edit to "tag" https://www.printerknowledge.com/members/638/ @websnail

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
If you intend to use the OEM Canon CLI-42 YELLOW cartridge for refilling then make sure to read the following before refilling the Yellow, and only the Yellow, cartridge: http://www.octoink.co.uk/kb/questions/186/CLI-42Y+(Yellow)+Cartridge+-+Special+Considerations This is why most will forgo flushing the OEM CLI-42 Yellow cartridge - to avoid the Yello Gello - and instead use a flushed CLI-8 cartridge with the chip swapped.

I use the Durchstich German method of refilling for my older CLI-8 cartridges and run them until at least one is marked as "Empty". However, the consensus on the forum is to use the TOP FILL method for the newer cartridges AND to refill when you get first warning when the ink is used up in the spongeless side but still full in the sponged side. The reasoning is drying of the ink in the sponge exposed to air will eventually cause ink flow problems and you will need to flush the cartridges or risk nozzle burn out and permanent malfunction of the print head. This will necessitate refilling almost twice as much if the cartridge were left to go till "Empty" but you will preserve your print head as long as possible and have less risk of ruined print jobs.

Having a second set of cartridges allows you to quickly swap out all cartridges with filled and reset cartridges and continue printing happily. Yes, people will remove and replace all (or nearly all) cartridges when the first cartridge is marked at half full.

I read somewhere on here that the Set-up Tanks [*may*] have a different Chip (not physically, just metadata-wise)
You can reset these chips without concern or loss of full functionality.