Refill 250/251 cartridges with 225/226 ink. Is it possible?

Celso

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX722
Dear All,

I have recently purchased a Canon MX722 and I will use refillable cartridges. I incorrectly purchased 225/226 inks from INKTEC and now I realize that this printer uses 250/251 inks. Can I use 225/226 ink to refill the cartridges and use it in the printer?

What harm can I cause to the printer? Is it a problem of ink quality or can I profile the ink and correct the colors if necessary?

Thank you very much!

This is my first post and help is very much appreciated.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Hi Celso

Well you have said it yourself, what harm can it do, if your prepared to profile the new ink then you and more importantly the printer wont notice any difference..;)

Celso

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX722
My concern is whether such ink could (somehow) damage the print head, as it is not designed for the 250/251 cartridges. I understand from you answer that there should not be any problem.

Thank you.

Celso

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX722
One more question...

If I do not profile the colors of the 226 ink would it be very different from the ink contained in the 251 cartridges?

How different will be colors in the prints if I use the 226 inks in the MX722.

Thank you!

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
My concern is whether such ink could (somehow) damage the print head
The inks should not damage the print head. All of the inks are designed for use in a bubble jet printer where the ink is heated up and spit out of the nozzles in the print head onto the paper.

The ink is used to also cool the print head/nozzles from the heat generated and this is why printing with an empty cartridge or a cartridge with no ink flowing out of it will eventually damage nozzles permanently.

The issue with using the wrong formulation of Canon compatible inks you listed is that each printer model may have different formulations to some or all of the inks such that the colors printed out by your printer will look "incorrect" when using the "wrong" ink. For instance, if even one ink is a different formulation then your pictures may look noticeable odd.

The variables involved in the accuracy of the finished image are the printer used (firmware and print head technology), paper used, ink used, and your eyes/brain. This excludes light source, which can alter how we perceive an image.

To overcome differences in ink formulations you can use a custom ICC printer profile that was created for a specific paper, ink and printer combination. This is what The Hat was writing about in his post. There is equipment you can purchase to make custom ICC profiles yourself such as the Colormunki. You could also play with the slider controls in the printer software which may be enough to balance things out for you. It could also be that you will be OK with the color output of the wrong ink.