Red skin tones and Canon i960 printer

embt

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
We've recently bought the i960 printer after checking out your excellent web site. We also ordered and received 6 refill packages from Inkgrabber. Now I compare same photos printed on our old Canon i850 with refill ink ( syringe etc.) with photos printed on the i960. The photos on the i850 are perfect, but on the i960 the skintones are definitely red! Same paper: Kirkland Professional Glossy Photo Paper. Printers set on same settings: Photo Per Pro, High, Auto. What am I doing wrong?? Please help! Eva

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
What ink did you use with the i850? Each ink/paper combination has a potentially different profile for color response. The first thing to do is NOT use the auto setting. Set it on manual and reprint. Then you can make adjustments in the manual setting area. I have not used those inks, but with OEM and MIS inks I usually use the glossy photo paper setting (a bit less color intensity) and also sometimes reduce the intensity setting to -4 or -6. I have also read posts of people who have reduced the magenta setting, but I find the the intensity setting does the trick. Do several test prints at different MANUAL settings and compare. I use Kirkland paper and it is on par with the Canon pro paper in my estimation. I didn't like my prints when useing Canon inks and Canon pro paper in my i960 until I went to the manual setting. More often than not with the manual setting I don't have to tweak anything. Only when skin tones in the photo are a bit more on the red side do I tweak the intensity.

measekite

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
embt said:
We've recently bought the i960 printer after checking out your excellent web site. We also ordered and received 6 refill packages from Inkgrabber. Now I compare same photos printed on our old Canon i850 with refill ink ( syringe etc.) with photos printed on the i960. The photos on the i850 are perfect, but on the i960 the skintones are definitely red! Same paper: Kirkland Professional Glossy Photo Paper. Printers set on same settings: Photo Per Pro, High, Auto. What am I doing wrong?? Please help! Eva
Kirkland paper is great. Canon OEM ink does not have any problems.

measekite

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I think that if you went to Canon OEM CERTIFIED in you would like the results on Kirkland paper. I knows it costs more but you would not have problems.