Question about service mode

Okks

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon IP8750
Hello,

I’m using a ix6850 using LAN, which means I chose LAN install instead of USB when setting the driver.

it has never been connected to my PC with a usb cable.

Now, I would like to enter service mode and connect my printer to my PC to reset counters.

Is it safe to plug it in service mode to my PC if the printer driver was not installed with USB connexion ?

Also, another question, how to safely leave service mode after this task is done? Is pushing the Power ON button one time ok to switch the printer off? Any better alternative?

Thank you for you help

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Now, I would like to enter service mode and connect my printer to my PC to reset counters.

Is it safe to plug it in service mode to my PC if the printer driver was not installed with USB connexion ?
You can enter "Service Mode" with your printer connected by LAN or any other method, BUT you cannot use a Service Tool useless your printer is first connect by USB cable, please be aware that using any Service Tool incorrectly can be destructive and can render your printer useless..

"Service Mode" is located inside your printer, and can be accessed by a sequence of button pressing, and Service Tool is an App. (Completely different thing)That allows you to alter the information stored on your printers EPROM chip while it is in "Service mode".
Also, another question, how to safely leave service mode after this task is done? Is pushing the Power ON button one time ok to switch the printer off? Any better alternative?
Pressing the on/off button on the printer will allow you to exit service Mode safely..
P.S. Please Note: Not all Canon printers can enter “Service Mode”

Okks

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon IP8750

You can enter "Service Mode" with your printer connected by LAN or any other method, BUT you cannot use a Service Tool useless your printer is first connect by USB cable, please be aware that using any Service Tool incorrectly can be destructive and can render your printer useless..

"Service Mode" is located inside your printer, and can be accessed by a sequence of button pressing, and Service Tool is an App. (Completely different thing)That allows you to alter the information stored on your printers EPROM chip while it is in "Service mode".

Pressing the on/off button on the printer will allow you to exit service Mode safely..
P.S. Please Note: Not all Canon printers can enter “Service Mode”

Thank you for your answer, yes I already know about it, I have Service Tool v5103 ready on my PC. I just wanted to know if Service Tool is using the default USB driver (on Canon CD) which you would have installed first with the printer or if it is a completely independent thing that can access the printer just by usb cable and printer in service / maintenance mode.

Also, I read pressing « cancel » or return button is safe to exit service mode, is it correct? As m printer does not have a screen, it is quite hard to figure out what it is doing!

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I think the iX6850 should be installed using the USB connection before trying any service mode operations. I tried to enter service mode on an MG7150 that has no push buttons, only sensor fields. The MG7150 and iX6850 are both of the same PGI-550/CLI-551 cartridge generation, so service tool v4720 or newer should work without blocking access to service mode.

For service mode operations with service tool v4720 i use an old Asus Eee netbook with Win XP and no antivirus, as an antivirus program would block the newer service tools, claiming they contain some malware.

The Service tool v4720 works well with other printers like the iP7250 and MG5450S that are of the same 550/551 cartridge generation as the MG6850.

I had read on another forum that I didn't need to install the printer before doing service mode operations as the computer sees the printer in service mode as "a device". I think this is very wrong! I didn't install the MG7150 before trying service mode operations with the Eee computer. I made the MG7150 enter service mode by pressing the power and Stop/Resume fields after having noticed their position and using the normal "5 press procedure" .

The service tool didn't work but gave an error message and in the title line it hadn't identified the printer as it normally does when it works. I then installed the printer using USB connection and tried the service mode operations again but now a constantly lit error light on the printer and an error message from the service tool showed that service mode was now blocked. I thought I knew "everything" about service mode operations on the PGI-550/CLI-551 printers, but sadly not.

So I strongly suggest to instal the printer using USB connection on the computer you want to use for service mode operations and please report your results.

After having performed service mode operations you can safely turn the printer off using the on/off button and close the service tool.

Last edited:

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
As already explained you have to connect the printer via USB first.
I observed that when the printer is in service mode the PC indicates it is offline (maybe a usable check).
Disconnect the USB cable and start the service tool.
When plugging the USB cable in again the tool will connect to the printer (handy in case you have several printers configured).
When the printer is not in service mode OR the service tool is not appropriate you will get error 006.

Good luck and report back.

Edit;

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Yes you must use the CD installer to allow for USB connection, now the printer has two buttons, Resume and the Power Button, the LED lights on these buttons indicate what is happening during any operation.

When you use the correct button sequence, the LED light on the Power Button will remain constant, If your successful, now the printer is in “Service Mode”

To exit Service More press the Power Button and wait for the LED light to go out..
Ops, a bit late with my reply.
.. :hide

Okks

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon IP8750
I think the iX6850 should be installed using the USB connection before trying any service mode operations. I tried to enter service mode on an MG7150 that has no push buttons, only sensor fields. The MG7150 and iX6850 are both of the same PGI-550/CLI-551 cartridge generation, so service tool v4720 or newer should work without blocking access to service mode.

For service mode operations with service tool v4720 i use an old Asus Eee netbook with Win XP and no antivirus, as an antivirus program would block the newer service tools, claiming they contain some malware.

The Service tool v4720 works well with other printers like the iP7250 and MG5450S that are of the same 550/551 cartridge generation as the MG6850.

I had read on another forum that I didn't need to install the printer before doing service mode operations as the computer sees the printer in service mode as "a device". I think this is very wrong! I didn't install the MG7150 before trying service mode operations with the Eee computer. I made the MG7150 enter service mode by pressing the power and Stop/Resume fields after having noticed their position and using the normal "5 press procedure" .

The service tool didn't work but gave an error message and in the title line it hadn't identified the printer as it normally does when it works. I then installed the printer using USB connection and tried the service mode operations again but now a constantly lit error light on the printer and an error message from the service tool showed that service mode was now blocked. I thought I knew "everything" about service mode operations on the PGI-550/CLI-551 printers, but sadly not.

So I strongly suggest to instal the printer using USB connection on the computer you want to use for service mode operations and please report your results.

After having performed service mode operations you can safely turn the printer off using the on/off button and close the service tool.

Wow, thank you for your feedback, nobody on the internet say you first have to install the USB driver before attempting service mode connexion...

I just wanted to know the ink pad counter level because it is a second hand printer and as I will use it for commercial purpose, I would like to track the number so I can anticipate things before I get 0B500 error, but it looks so risky I don’t know if I should try it...

Is there any button procedure to print the eeprom values using just the printer buttons? It would be safer but I don’t know if it exists on this model!

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
........Is there any button procedure to print the eeprom values using just the printer buttons? It would be safer but I don’t know if it exists on this model!
No, to get the D-value AKA absorber counter value you need service mode and a proper service tool. But the regular nozzle check from user mode prints the number of printed pages and the firmware version at the bottom of the printout. A high number suggests a high D-value. I don't know the the relation of printed pages and D-Value though and I think it depends on the printer's usage pattern.

Okks

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon IP8750
So I tried the v5103 version and all I get is error 006 and 005. I don't think I'm locked out of service mode because I can still activate it. But service tool can't print EEPROM! Weird