Pushed alcohol through to old Epson WF-2630 printhead, then died

juntjoo

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
XP-960
It wasn't printing anything with new aftermarket cartridges so I pushed the alcohol through the top with a syringe and tube, took a day with rubber bands to hold pressure on the syringit was that clogged, installed cartridges, system went through "preparing the ink system" then screen went blank and since then haven't been able to turn it back on. Idk if the cleaning had anything to do with it. I put paper towel under the printhead to absorb the alcohol but maybe some got through to parts it shouldn't have? I wouldn't imagine that would be an issue. Anyone have any ideas? Might there be a reset switch/method to this machine? Thanks
20220808_034602.jpg

Last edited:

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
AFAIK you can't use alcohol with EPSON print heads. Alcohol can only be used with Canon and HP.

Last edited:

Chris N

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 1500W
Based on Arthur Entlich's Epson cleaning manual, you can make your own effective cleaning solution using Windex (Weak ammoniated window cleaner with no acids) and pure isopropyl alcohol (no added oil like rubbing alcohol has).

For pigment ink Epson printers use 50% Windex and 50% pure isopropyl alcohol.
For dye ink Epson printers use 70% Windex and 30% pure isopropyl alcohol.

If used properly, this cleaning solution is highly successful. I have personally used it for many years on all my Epson printers without damaging them.

WARNING: Never inject cleaning solution directly into the print head. You run a very high risk of delaminating it (Internal rupture) and render it useless. Never remove an Epson printhead and submerge it in cleaning solution. The electronic components will get damaged. Dried ink will dissolve slowly over a period of several days. A lot of patience is required.

The best way to use the cleaning solution is to use cleaning carts. That's what Epson service centres use.

Fill cleaning carts with the cleaning solution and add a little ink so you can see it and run one or two cleaning cycles every day and do a nozzle test until the clogs clear. It can take a few days and sometimes up to 2 weeks.

In the case of your printer, its possible that a board or electronic component has been damaged by liquid.

Unplug it, let it dry out for a few days and see if it lights up. Bang it in case there is a bad connection somewhere. Probably it has been fried and is ready for recycling.

Kind regards
Chris