Program for auto arranging small photos on large sheets

costadinos

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
7900, 4900, 9890, R2000, P50
I've been looking for some software that would allow me to print multiple photos on a single large sheet of paper, without having to manually arrange all of them for saving paper.

I need the program to be able to arrange multiple photos of multiple sizes onto a custom sized paper and then either be able to print directly to the printer with color management, or at least output the entire page to a jpeg.
There are some programs that can do that to an extent, like Lightroom, but I haven't been able to find one that can combine several sizes of photos onto the same page automatically.
For example, I'd like to be able to first import a number of photos, specify a page size (A3, A4...), then choose how big each picture would be (10x15, 15x20...) and then have the program automatically arrange all the photos so that paper waste is a minimum.

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
I remember Paint Shop Pro (and I am thinking back to version 6) used to have a multiple image facility and auto arrange in the PRINT function. Whether the latest versions still have it I don't know, but it is worth having a look.

It also has a facility for printing very large poster style prints, one image spread over many sheets with small overlaps, to allow sheets to be glued together. This I have found very useful.

Last edited:

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
I've been looking for some software that would allow me to print multiple photos on a single large sheet of paper, without having to manually arrange all of them for saving paper.

I need the program to be able to arrange multiple photos of multiple sizes onto a custom sized paper and then either be able to print directly to the printer with color management, or at least output the entire page to a jpeg.
There are some programs that can do that to an extent, like Lightroom, but I haven't been able to find one that can combine several sizes of photos onto the same page automatically.
For example, I'd like to be able to first import a number of photos, specify a page size (A3, A4...), then choose how big each picture would be (10x15, 15x20...) and then have the program automatically arrange all the photos so that paper waste is a minimum.

A practical solution to your requirements is Qimage. It does what you require and much more. I have owned it since its inception and could not live without it. It can be downloaded for a trial before you purchase. Customer support is truly outstanding.

Go to the link below and all will be revealed.

http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage-u/

Usual caveat: Your mileage may vary.

Roy Sletcher
Writing from the "Sceptic's tank"

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
You can make a Print Template in LightRoom.
But when you print it takes time to render all the images.

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
Have you tried one of the many online photo collage tools, they will allow resizing of individual photos and placement?

Alternatively select all the photos you want to print in windows explorer using the shift or control keys, then right click and choose "print". Go through the wizard until you get to the layouts stage and then select the appropriate template. This will not allow you to resize the images though as such, at least not manually. Typically of standard photo size (IE 6 inch by 4 inch or 10cm by 15cm) it will fit 2-3 per A4 page.

ullipops

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pixma pro9500
Do you know how to program? Is it a limited set of mosaics you need to print? If the job is often the same except for the image files being used a custom script could be a solution.

I had the same challenge with my school photography business (I've been told that in business nothing is a problem but a challenge). I didn't even bother with PS and LR royally sucked! ... sorry, was a challenge, in the sense that you need to manually rename each and every mosaic that you output, not very safe (or fun) with 700 kids on just one school. I ended up writing a Perl script that utilises ImageMagick which is a very cool open source command line image editting program. The Perl script was just to make everything automatic wrt. fetching files, output file naming, export paths etc. It works extremely well and I don't have to do a thing manually. If you need something like that for your business and don't program a scripting language it might be worthwhile to find somebody who can write it for you.