Problems Flushing Magenta Cartridges

andy_48

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma iP8750; Pixma MG6650
I, like many others on this forum, have had repeated problems with clogged nozzles and head failures, invariably (or, seemingly) connected with Magenta and Photo Magenta inks. To try and counter the problem, I've upped my game on the 'hygiene' management of my printers and my carts.

I've read countless posts and watched many videos (especially mikling's excellent and informative series http://www.precisioncolors.com/Maintenance_Canon.html) until I'm magenta in the face. I flush carts using Martin at Octoinkjet's method https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGvtuAT1KNo and his syringes, clips and other kit. I use water, pharmacist's solution and Lidl's W5 (UK equivalent to Windex) as appropriate and have been refilling with IS ink also from Octoinkjet.

I flush and I flush.

So. Why am I finding it hard to completely clean my Magenta carts? On some (not all) I just can't shift the colour from the area ringed in the first photo and just about visible in the second.

IMG_8356a.JPG IMG_8357.JPG

1. Does it matter? Is it vital that this bit is squeaky clean?
2. If so, what else can I try or will I have to bin the cart?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
So. Why am I finding it hard to completely clean my Magenta carts? On some (not all) I just can't shift the colour from the area ringed in the first photo and just about visible in the second.
Your Magenta cartridge looks cleaner than most. Well done!

1. Does it matter? Is it vital that this bit is squeaky clean?
Doubtful. Unless this small area acts as a nidus of growth from fungus/mold or floculation then it is completely harmless.

Has your cartridge hygiene program improved function of the print head, ie kept problems from occurring?

andy_48

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Has your cartridge hygiene program improved function of the print head, ie kept problems from occurring?

Thanks, stratman. The jury's still out. I had a magenta clog on my MG5350 last week that I successfully cleared with The Hat's Fairy Liquid remedy.

I'm waiting for a 2nd replacement head for my Pro 9000 mk 2 so I'm currently making sure I'm ready for it!

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I guess the cartridges were flushed using one of Octoink's flushers? The sealing ball does not appear to have been removed and replaced by a silicone plug. Maybe the hard to clean area could be cleaned using this or this flusher? This method will pass a lot of water through the hard to clean area.

I wonder that if the clogging problems are due to microbial growth in the ink, could the cartridges then be cleaned properly, or should they be discarded? I also wonder if an infected cartridge could be disinfected by chlorine bleach, Rodalon (Benzalkonium Chloride solution), Isopropyl alcohol or other chemical not restricted.

As the cartridges are made from polypropylene, I think sterilization using heat not an option. I think the plastic will soften at 100C/212F so boiling will probably ruin the cartridge. Half an hour in a baking oven at 120C/248F would be even worse, I think. But I could give it a try using flushed 3'rd party cartridges and see what happens.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
@PeterBJ

It could be that the key is to open up a top hole for improved flushing experience. The velocity of flush water could be increased more easily which may improve cleaning of the sponge over any point in a graph hat includes t=Time.

Do we know the effect of the sterilization solutions you mention on the sponge/plastic material of the cartridges when used in sufficient strength to kill organic growth? Will one be able to remove this dead organic growth so as not to create subsequent issues, such as flow or a surface on which desiccated ink or other substance may attach and expand?

Given the small cost of a new cartridge, why mess around with trying to sterilize if you truly suspect organic growth?

andy_48

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
I guess the cartridges were flushed using one of Octoink's flushers? The sealing ball does not appear to have been removed and replaced by a silicone plug. Maybe the hard to clean area could be cleaned using this or this flusher? This method will pass a lot of water through the hard to clean area.
I have removed the sealing balls on all my carts and been forcing water through with a luer syringe with a fair amount of pressure (as in Martin's video).

Given all the recently reported issues with Magenta, is it possible that Magenta inks are more susceptible than others to organic infection, although I can't think why!!?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I have removed the sealing balls on all my carts and been forcing water through with a luer syringe with a fair amount of pressure (as in Martin's video).
That is the way I would suggest. Maybe filling the cartridge with a window cleaner with ammonia and leaving it overnight before flushing again will remove the last ink?
Given all the recently reported issues with Magenta, is it possible that Magenta inks are more susceptible than others to organic infection, although I can't think why!!?
It is possible, but I don't know. I have had problems with photo magenta and regular cyan. But my affected inks were more than 2 years old. I have now learned not to buy large amounts of ink to get a lower price per ml. I think It will be better for me In the future to order 100 ml bottles of ink instead of 250 ml .

andy_48

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
That is the way I would suggest. Maybe filling the cartridge with a window cleaner with ammonia and leaving it overnight before flushing again will remove the last ink?
Will try this.

It is possible, but I don't know. I have had problems with photo magenta and regular cyan. But my affected inks were more than 2 years old. I have now learned not to buy large amounts of ink to get a lower price per ml. I think It will be better for me In the future to order 100 ml bottles of ink instead of 250 ml .
My ink is just over a year old and has been stored in my (mid UK) garage. I guess it got quite warm in there this Summer. Is there an optimum storage temp (or a recommended ceiling) to avoid microbial growth?

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
As far as microbial growth is concerned, how about trying "Milton" as used for sterilising babies bottles. Unlikely to harm cartridges as no heat is involved.:)

And no, at 80 years, I am not in that sort of business!