Problematic Maxify printer...

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I am been plagued by an ongoing error on my Maxify..
It all started when I got the red X on my magenta OEM cart, I refilled the cart that was still half full and reinstalled it..

The ink status showed the magenta cart as normal, (Full) but when I go to print something, I get an B504 error and the ink status then shows the magenta cart as nearly empty..
I am using all ARC chips..

But I’ve changed the magenta cart a couple of times, and swapping from one time chip and an OEM chip, but still this Feckin error keeps poping up, but the gas part is the printer accepts any of the chips as ok up to that point, until I click print.. !

Any ideas ?...

As is.PNG Error.PNG

Then its this.PNG

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Just thinking but no answer...

B504 is raised when the printer does not detect ink flow (with the sensor in the printhead).
Strange enough this should not have occurred since there was enough ink (or the sensor should have failed or the magenta channel clogged).
The error should clear after installing a cart with enough ink both physically AND on the chip.
Maybe the printer thinks you reinserted a previously used cart.
If both chips you used have an error you could try a brand new chip.

Did you change the magenta cart the official way (by opening the front door and wait until the empty cart is presented to extract) or by pulling the plug while printing ?
Anyway, only the second way is possible now (but normally does not causes any harm).

This reminds me I should order a reserve set of ARC chips just in case.
Let's not forget Canon wants us to buy NEW cartridges.

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
If both chips you used have an error you could try a brand new chip.
Did that too...
Thanks for your input, because you raise a number of different scenarios, I tried it again today to run a cleaning cycle and a nozzle check and it worked perfectly, but it then showed a low ink warning on the yellow cart and also the B504 error.

So I changed the yellow cart for a different one and it showed the same error again, so whatever is going on has something to do with the ink levels and chips..
yelllow.PNG

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Maybe B504 is not only a protection against missing ink flow, but scares also people doing unconventional things with cartridges.
Yes the over built-in protection is a real curse and causes untold misery to someone that’s having issues with their printer, (Me).. :(

Thanks @palombian for your help with my printer problem, I used your link and it worked perfectly, it did reset the printer and I had to re-install the printer on my computer again..

Powered on the printer after the reset and when it stopped cleaning it had the same Feckin B504 error again, at this stage I was about to dump the printer, because I’d had enough messing around changing carts and chips and getting nowhere.

Fortunately I dropped my yellow ARC chip onto the floor and couldn’t find it, so by chance I decided to put a Magenta OEM chip onto the yellow cart and this caused printer to go a bit wobbly and to give another error, saying the wrong cart chip was installed in the yellow position.

I removed the magenta chip and replaced it with the correct yellow ARC chip, the printer went through its usual cleaning routine and was able to print once more, it seemed the wrong chip error cause a reset of the EPROM and the printer had forgotten all about the B504 error.

The printer can now be used as normal, that is until the need to reset the black cart chip, whenever that happens, but next time I won’t be fooled by the same Shenanigans again..
Thanks again..:thumbsup

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Glad you found a solution. I was about to suggest there might be some air in the magenta pathway but it sounds like shenanigans was more than cause.. Bit sneaky if true mind.

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
@The Hat
Great trick, must try and remember that. Just another example of accidental discoveries that benefit us all.
Was it one of your ancestors who accidentally burnt the hops in that Dublin brewery and gave us the unique brew? :lol: