problem with refilled canon pgi cart

dwolf

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
This is the larger black cart from the cli series.. It did run dry..
I refilled it and cannot get it to work.. It's the the printer because I moved it into another canon printer I have and it does not work there either... Can it be saved.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Read the thread about purging carts. The large black carts don't purge as well as the ink in them is pigment based and not as water soluble after it dries. I would try purging it. perhaps someone with experience purging these carts has a clue regarding a solvent (alcohol?) that will restore them to use. Two tests to see if a cart is feeding properly. One is to leave the fill hole and ink outlet open to see if there is a constant drip. The other is to have the fill hole sealed and blow gently into the air vent. You should get dripping out the ink outlet with blowing very little air pressure into the vent. If neither of these "tests" works, you have dried ink in the cart that prevents proper flow.

leo8088

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I just threw away an OEM BCI-3ebk with 1/2 of ink in it. It has been used very little for a few months. The nozzle check still looks normal but when I print large text with large area of black about 1/3 to 1/2 of the black is white. I put in a new one but there wasn't much improvement. I left the new one in the printer for a few days. I only printed colors with only a few lines of text once a day for a few days. Just now I found that the print head is recovered by itself. It is able to print large text with the new BCI-3ebk again. The thumb of the rule for inkjet printers is to print everyday. It will be happier if it is used everyday. How true this is!!! I think I may really lose it if I continue to leave it alone for another month.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
So dye ink is livesaver when it comes to how long until it dries up :)

Inkin

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
For this Canon problem is to:
1. remove all the cartridges and place them to the side.
2. Remove the printhead there should be a level to the side.
3. place in a container you don't care for.
4. pour Blue Windex in the bottom of the container and in the printhead(where the filter is or where the cartridge sat).
5. This is to remove any dryness from the top and the bottom at the same time.
6. Soak for maybe two hours. It up to you.
7. When done dry carefully the electronics before placing back in the printer.

Hope this helps.

I tell everyone do a printhead cleaning every two weeks to make sure the printhead doesn't dry up.
A cleaning cleans all the colors.