Problem with refillable ink cartridge on an epson wf3620

djkokalis

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hello there.
I have used refillable ink cartridges on my epson wf3620 for a few years now and I didn't have any issue with them. The past few days the black colour doesn't print correctly. I have tried the head cleaning utility but it doesn't seem to work.
Is there anything else you think I should do to fix it?
I am attaching both photos of the Nozzle check and the ink cartridges themselves. I am using dye based ink

Attachments

• IMG_3973.JPG
    IMG_3973.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 479
  • IMG_6354.JPG
    IMG_6354.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 481
  • IMG_3942.JPG
    IMG_3942.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 500
  • IMG_0369.JPG
    IMG_0369.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 480
  • IMG_3328.JPG
    IMG_3328.JPG
    112.2 KB · Views: 479
  • IMG_5529.JPG
    IMG_5529.JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 456

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
is the black ink as well a dye ink - or pigment ink like in lots of Epson home office printers ? You may download
and use the WicReset utility which offers you a function 'Ink charge' which is effectively a long cleaning cycle. Don't use it multiple times unless you see a real improvement, it otherwise just fills up the waste ink bin. Please print a nozzle check before and after each of such cleaning cycle to check for two details - does the number of missing nozzles drop and are the still missing nozzles at the same location or do they move around ? Missing nozzles moving around are not really clogged in most cases but there is an issue with the ink flow or small air bubbles trapped here or there .

djkokalis

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
is the black ink as well a dye ink - or pigment ink like in lots of Epson home office printers ? You may download
and use the WicReset utility which offers you a function 'Ink charge' which is effectively a long cleaning cycle. Don't use it multiple times unless you see a real improvement, it otherwise just fills up the waste ink bin. Please print a nozzle check before and after each of such cleaning cycle to check for two details - does the number of missing nozzles drop and are the still missing nozzles at the same location or do they move around ? Missing nozzles moving around are not really clogged in most cases but there is an issue with the ink flow or small air bubbles trapped here or there .

All inks are dye based. Both black. Will try wicreset utility as soon as I can and will come back with updates. Thanks for the tip

djkokalis

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score

You were right and thank you so much. I have tried the ink charge once and works perfectly. This is before and after the ink charge

Attachments

• IMG_1059.JPG
    IMG_1059.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 460
  • IMG_5268.JPG
    IMG_5268.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 474

djkokalis

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have the same problem again. I have followed the principle that @Ink stained Fingers mentioned again but after a few prints I have to do it all over again. Is it possible that the refillable cartridge has some some sort of problem? I have seen in this video that I have to fill the meter to create a vacuum. I have done this so many times but that didn't help. Should I buy another one?
Thanks

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Priming a cartridge with vacuum as shown in the video would be necessary one time only - before first use. The ink charge command does something similar getting air out of cartridges or tubes in CISS-type printers, Ecotank models or with a 3rd party CISS system.
There might be more contaminants in the ink channels of the printhead, a typical cleaning method works with a syringe as shown in this video, the 2nd part
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snp2whsKHLs
Yes, it could be the cartridge itself causing some problems but that's rather rare to my experience. There is a small and fine mesh wire filter in the ink flow inside, visible in most cases if you remove the side cover. But such filter may only clog after a pretty long usage time. It could be the ink in a few cases, so there are several aspects to the problem. There is one detail you should observe - whether clogs move around between nozzles when you do several nozzle check prints - or they stay at the same place - but their number may increase from test to test.

Last edited:

djkokalis

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Priming a cartridge with vacuum as shown in the video would be necessary one time only - before first use. The ink charge command does something similar getting air out of cartridges or tubes in CISS-type printers, Ecotank models or with a 3rd party CISS system.
There might be more contaminants in the ink channels of the printhead, a typical cleaning method works with a syringe as shown in this video, the 2nd part
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snp2whsKHLs
Yes, it could be the cartridge itself causing some problems but that's rather rare to my experience. There is a small and fine mesh wire filter in the ink flow inside, visible in most cases if you remove the side cover. But such filter may only clog after a pretty long usage time. It could be the ink in a few cases, so there are several aspects to the problem. There is one detail you should observe - whether clogs move around between nozzles when you do several nozzle check prints - or they stay at the same place - but their number may increase from test to test.

If I understood correctly I can make my own cleaning fluid using 80% distilled water and 20% ammonia? Where I can buy ammonia?
Last but not least yes the clogs move around after making a head cleaning

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Depending on your country you can find household cleaners with ammonia like Windex ; another recipe would be this one
https://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/cleaning-solution-the-ultimate-test.5296/
I would think that 20% ammonia is a big overkill.
MIssing nozzles jumping around can indicate a poor inkflow e.g. insufficient ventilation of the cartridge - the plug on the vent. hole is not removed. And that's a situation where cleaning won't help.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I would think that 20% ammonia is a big overkill.
Yes, according to Pharmacist's mixture.

20 drops of Ammonia is equal to 1 ml.

So, 1 ml of Ammonia (20 drops) in 99 ml water to make 100 ml of solution means Ammonia concentration is 1%.

davidblakey

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Photosmart 5520/Canon MX726
Just adding my two cents here. Maybe you also need to avoid exposing your printer to extremely cold or extremely hot temperatures. Extreme temperatures can clog up your ink cartridge.