Problem printing on heavy paper with Canon Pixma

tsuzyq

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Does anyone here have a Canon Pixma printer and if so can you print on heavy card stock paper. Mine is still under warranty and it will not feed photo paper or card stock.
Thanks for any help you might have.

nelda

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have a Pixma iP5000. I seem to remember reading something in the manual about feeding heavy paper from the back slot, the one you check when the double sided feeder is jammed. I haven't neded to do this, so I offer no practical help, just a suggestion.

I am sure that this printer can handle heavy stock - this is the same printer than can be used in Europe to print CDs. That option has been disabled in the USA models - it seems to be because of licensing rights. Check out this long post on another forum if you want to read up on it: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=36631&forum_id=40&page=1 It's something like 11 pages long, so be prepared to read through a lot.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
I read something recently (Possibly on Stevesforums too) that indicated that the newer Pixma's were warning that they couldn't handle much over 110gsm (no idea what that is in US measures)..

You might want to drop Canon a call and see if they have any info or FAQ stuff on the issue..

d87cfv

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I print on Canon's Photo Paper Pluss Glossy that is 270gsm without a problem on my Pixma MP760. I have also printed on 300gsm card, to do this I had to change the "prevent print head abrasion" check box in the driver setting (last page).

Canon are very versatile printers - the 270 goes through the bottom tray fine and it doesnt struggle to bend it back on itself.

Regs,

D

tsuzyq

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. I was leaving for the day when I posted this message this morning and forgot to say this is a Canon pixma 5000. I got it last summer and have used it very little for color [maybe 15 sheets]. I do print a few pages of text daily. I have not had a problem with any of the photo papers I used before, but it will not feed them through now.
I was just getting prepared to print out a 100 pages of color for a scrapbook...wouldn't you know. I called Canon this morning and they said it did not make any sense that it would feed regular paper and not heavier photo paper. I have tried 4 different brands.
Yesterday it would feed from the cassette holder, but no more. They did say they would send me a refurbished printer, because of course they are not still making the 5000. They told me that if I use anything but canon paper, it could void the waranty. They also told me it would only handle paper up to 28lb.
I had an Epson printer for 8 years and it finally last summer would not align correctly. I will say the photos are nicer from the Canon, but if i have to buy only Canon paper, I would never buy another. I have used Red River paper for about 7 years and never had a problem before.
The main question I have is this...if all the Pixma 5000 are the same, will it do any good to get the one they are going to send?

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
tsuzyq said:
They told me that if I use anything but canon paper, it could void the waranty. They also told me it would only handle paper up to 28lb.
Erm... I'm pretty sure that's absolute boll*x.. If that were true then anyone using standard 80gsm photocopier style basic paper would have a warrantyless printer..

Granted they can't guarantee the results as different papers have different chemical make-ups that affect the durability and colour of the actual print but trying to limit usability to anything other than thickness or weight limits is just nuts...

tsuzyq

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Websnail, yes they absolutely told me that this printer would not print on anything heavier than 28lb and that if I use other brands of paper and damage the printer, it would void the warranty. Of course I laughed and added how long I used my Epson with any brand of paper.

Reg, I 's sorry, I don't understand how to change this setting...what last page?

jackson

Printer Guru
Reaction score
tsuzyq said:
Websnail, yes they absolutely told me that this printer would not print on anything heavier than 28lb and that if I use other brands of paper and damage the printer, it would void the warranty. Of course I laughed and added how long I used my Epson with any brand of paper.

Reg, I 's sorry, I don't understand how to change this setting...what last page?
To prevent 'paper abrasion', select printer properties>maintenance>custom settings>check prevent paper abrasion.

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I just printed 700 invitations using 80 lb paper and my Pixma ip 3000. I heard no complaints from my printer. I did use the "prevent paper abrasion" setting under the Maintenance/Custom tabs, so maybe that helped.

tsuzyq

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies...Reg, this is strange...I went to maintenance>custom settings and it shows "prevent paper abrasion" and "align heads manually", but they are grayed out and won't let me select them. This must be where the problem lies....but I don't know what to do now.