Pro9000MK2 Cartridge not recognised

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
After the usual soaking in Windex & flushing etc to try & clear a bad nozzle check on my Photo Magenta port I have had two warnings of Cartridge not recognised, one on the magenta yesterday & just now I had it on the Photo Cyan. The message was fixed on both occasions by installing a different refilled & reset cart.
Is it possible the electrics in the head are playing up or have these two same age carts used their reset use by date?
I imagine if it was electrical inserting another cart wouldn't fix it like it did a.
Also I'm tempted to add some cloudy ammonia that the missus uses for washing clothes to my flushing mix as the clog although improved has just remained constant after two different overnight head soak & cleans. Is cloudy ammonia the same thing as ammonia?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
As the error was fixed by replacing the offending cartridges, I think the chips on the cartridges are the problem, not the print head or the printer electronics.

Ink or other liquid on the chip can cause it to malfunction, so are the chips clean? If the chips have been transferred from other cartridges, check that they are properly positioned on the new cartridges. A battery powered resetter that is running low on battery might also damage the chip. Finally a chip can fail for no apparent reason, this has happened to me a few times. The offending chip lights in a normal manner when the cartridge is inserted, but after the lid is closed the printer gives a warning that one or more cartridges cannot be recognised and that the cartridges which are not lit should be replaced.

I don't know cloudy ammonia, but "cloudy" sounds wrong to me when we are talking print head unclogging. Instead a clear or transparent window cleaner with ammonia or pharmacist's cleaning solution is recommended.

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Do you have hard water Rod, has any water been mixed with the ammonia?

On the subject of inks and clogging, do inks have any additives to prevent fungal or bacterial growth, or even say isopropanol to reduce clogging. May be it would increase the fading process, so not a good idea?

I am still finding poor red nozzle checks, but no trouble when actually printing at normal ink levels. I have been doing regular extra flushing on the red channel. The Hat would say you are going to loose your print head soon!

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Yes, that is a good example Peter.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
OK Rod, on your question of cloudy ammonia the answer is yes it’s the same stuff, I have used the cloudy ammonia so I know it’s the same.

Now I’d start again with a fresh set of cartridges so first give your print head a good soaking of your flushing mix (Overnight) then dry it thoroughly, then rub the contacts on the back of the head with a pencil eraser before putting it back into the printer and close the lid.

Wait for the on screen message to appear and then only insert two cartridges at a time and close the lid again, repeat this action till you get all your cartridges in and accepted, then run a normal head clean and try a new nozzle print, check it against the previous one and that will tell all.

Hopefully it will all work out to be just a few more grey hairs and nothing else and everything will be back to normal again.

P.S. have a few beers in the mean time..

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks all:) I think our water is soft Peter & I've been using our purified drinking water that goes through a pre filter & then a carbon filter., maybe I should buy some demineralised water. So far Emu I have only used windex & flushed with filtered water but I think I might add some cloudy ammonia to make a more manly mix:)
I will give the head another overnight soaking & try your way of putting in the carts Hat. I'm not getting any grey hairs this time because if I have to buy a new head I can use the old one with all the carts filled with GO. The only problem with having two heads is how do I store the head that isn't being used so it doesn't dry out.

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Looking at the bottle of 15% ammonia I have, the bottle looks a little cloudy up to the level of the ammonia and above the glass looks clear. When you tilt the bottle the ammonia above the tide mark looks clear. So I think the ammonia has caused a clouding of the glass surface over the years of just sitting unused.

They say Roo's urine will clean anything. :oops:

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
I looked up cloudy ammonia & it has a bit of soap in it which I think gives it a cloudy look when new. The product is called Cloudy Ammonia.
Roo urine is great for most cleaning jobs but it does have to be rinsed off with old mans urine to get rid of the gamey smell:)

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Knowing that Australia is the other side of the world seems less of a problem than it once did... Which way is the wind blowing again? ;)