Pro 9000 head removal

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
Gday all hope your all doing well. I have a new head for my Pro 9000 & I will use the old one for applying gloss optimiser to my 9500 prints.
Can I remove & install the head with all the carts still in it? It won't do anything to the electrics will it?
Only brainy posters need to reply:)

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Can I remove & install the head with all the carts still in it? It won't do anything to the electrics will it?

I tried to remove the head with all the carts in it the other day, try it, you can't I'm afraid. Sorry!:( Pull the mains plug out first.

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I love a quiz question, so marks out ten Rod please ! :weee

You’re better off just leaving the old head to steep in some warm water for a hour after use and then just put the orange clip from the new head on to it and leave it to dry somewhere, that’s what I do with my spare print head.

When you want to use it again just put a couple of drops of Glycol (Or pharmacist solution) on the inlets and re-inset it in your printer (Wait 5 minutes) then put in your Glop cartridges and print a test sheet after the printer has run its head clean.

The Glop cartridges should be stored with their clips on when not in use, like you do with your other spare cartridges.

Trying to store the cartridges still in the print head and wrapped in cling film is a bit messy when you want to reuse them.. :eek:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Good luck!

img-thing

:lol:

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
You were right Stratman only Emu & the Hat replied. Blimey I didn't know you couldn't take the head out with the carts in, when I put it back together I bet it looks obvious you can't. Old people shouldn't be let near a printer a.
Thanks Hat I will do it the way you said once my flushed carts are dry.
You got 9/10 mate, you lost one mark for not telling me I couldn't take the head out with the carts in.
Thanks Emu & the Hat:)

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Strange things are happening I now have the CLI8 Red, PC & PM carts saying the cart can't be recognised. Does this mean the chips are buggered? They reset OK & the light comes on when the cart is inserted into the head & then the amber light blinks. This is still with the old head as I'm making sure everything is right before putting the new head in. I have other Red, PC & PM carts that work fine so I don't think the problem is in the head or printer.
Do I just toss these non recognised carts?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Hi Rod, no your chips are not buggered, that can happen from time to time and there are many ways to circumvent the rejection from happening and everyone has their own methods and most of them work too.

You could try removing the head and giving the back brass contacts a clean of alcohol or a rubber eraser, do the same with the chip contacts.

Put the head back in and close the top lid, now follow the on screen messages and put the cartridges back in one by one but close the top lid after each cartridge till you get them all back and recognised.

If you have a resetter for any other chips say CLl- 525 or CLl-42 you can use that to reset the coding in your CLl-8 chips and then revert back to using the proper resetter to get a fresh reset, or you could try replacing the batteries in the resetter also.

As I said there are endless different ways to correct that silly little error that can crop up every now and then, before your brain gets reduced to the size of Homer’s.. :)

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks Hat I will give that a try. I thought it was a bit strange to get three go wonky in just a few days after years of no problems & the red cart has only a few resets done on it.
I have the resetter for the PGI9 which does most of the CLI8 carts so I will try that as well.

Latest posts