Pro-100; No low warning when PM was (pretty much) empty

jjohnl

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I was doing some printing a couple days ago when I got a "low" warning for the black ink. I checked the printer status and it showed the LGY was also about 1/2 down, everything else looked full.

So I shut down the printer, took out the carts, and was shocked to find the PM pretty much empty. Everything else pretty much matched what the status check had shown. I can only think of 2 possibilities: a bad PM cart or user error. (Such as, I reset the chip but didn't put ink in the cart. But that seems unlikely because I have this routine where I start out with all the ink bottles in a box, take them out one at a time when I use them, and then leave them out until the box is empty.)

Does anyone have any other possible causes for this?
I'm using PC42 colors in a Pro 100 with OEM carts except for the yellow which I got from PC.
Thanks

jjohnl

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
http://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/more-on-the-canon-optical-sensor.10613/

Or possibly a leaky cartridge that is slowly leaking ink, possibly underfilled cart.
I saw that thread before I posted but couldn't see how it might relate; maybe I don't know enough about it to understand.
Seems like a leaky cart would make a mess that I could see unless it was leaking in just the right place so that the ink went into the sponge.
Underfilled cart has potential; I like that better than a bad cart. :)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
It’s more likely that you overlooked to refill the PM cart in your refilling procedure, because you wouldn’t be the first to get caught out like that, it’s an easy thing to happen with eight cartridges. :confused:

Resetting the chip when the reservoir is still empty is about the only way that this can happen, because a leakage in your cartridge would have triggered a low ink warning.

You’ll need to recheck your refilling procedure and amend it so that this can not happen to you again, you were lucky this time.. :eek:

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
I was doing some printing a couple days ago when I got a "low" warning for the black ink. I checked the printer status and it showed the LGY was also about 1/2 down, everything else looked full.

So I shut down the printer, took out the carts, and was shocked to find the PM pretty much empty. Everything else pretty much matched what the status check had shown. I can only think of 2 possibilities: a bad PM cart or user error. (Such as, I reset the chip but didn't put ink in the cart. But that seems unlikely because I have this routine where I start out with all the ink bottles in a box, take them out one at a time when I use them, and then leave them out until the box is empty.)

Does anyone have any other possible causes for this?
I'm using PC42 colors in a Pro 100 with OEM carts except for the yellow which I got from PC.
Thanks

Are you refilling the original carts that came with the printer and marked on the top setup carts or something like that?

Also, did you at any time override or bypass the Canon ink measuring or monitoring system while using these carts?

I have one set of carts where the answer to both questions is yes, and they go from full to yellow <!> warning without intermediate gradations.

I did start a thread about the phenomena a couple of years ago or so. Very few other re-filler's have the problem, so it may not be the same as your current condition.

Just something to consider.

rs

jjohnl

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
You’ll need to recheck your refilling procedure and amend it so that this can not happen to you again, you were lucky this time.. :eek:
Definitely lucky I was using a lot of black ink; that could have been the end of the print head.

jjohnl

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Are you refilling the original carts that came with the printer and marked on the top setup carts or something like that?
Yep, original carts.
Also, did you at any time override or bypass the Canon ink measuring or monitoring system while using these carts?
Nope, not on this printer.

jjohnl

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Well, it just did it again. I made a print that had a drastic red-color change right in the middle and made me suspicious. There was no warning of any kind.
I don't see how it can be anything other than the cart. What do you guys think, now that it's happened twice? All the other carts pretty much match the on-screen status.

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Well, it just did it again. I made a print that had a drastic red-color change right in the middle and made me suspicious. There was no warning of any kind.
I don't see how it can be anything other than the cart. What do you guys think, now that it's happened twice? All the other carts pretty much match the on-screen status.
Potentially defective chip?

jjohnl

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I just realized something weird: Both times this has happened, the last print I made started out VERY red and then when the PM ran out the rest of the print looked correct. Like it's dumping all the PM at the beginning of the print. This first image is a scan of the print, the second one is the image I printed. You can see that the original doesn't have that huge density difference between the leading (right) side of the face that the print has. (Crappy scan but still...)

test0001.JPG
test2.jpg

Latest posts