Pro-100 Driver Update

Jim Walker

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pixma pro-100, ip3000
Installed the pro-100 XPS driver and when I look at the Devices and Printers page the Pro-100 icon still shows the series WS and if Iclick on the pro-100 icon and click on printer properties or printer preferences it shows both a series WS and series XPS. If I’ve updated the driver why is it still showing the series WS?
Thanks

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
There are two print drivers for the Pro-100. (https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/...100?tab=drivers#Z7_MQH8HIC0L88RB0AMD0F1Q42K25)

From Canon's web site...

PRO-100 series XPS Printer Driver Ver.5.86 (Windows):
This file is a printer driver for Canon IJ printers. XPS printer drivers support 16-bpc printing, which enables more smooth gradation printing than the current drivers (8-bpc printing)

From your post it seems you installed the other driver first and then the XPS driver. Both can be installed at the same time. One does not delete or overwrite the other. You can use either one when you print something.

Jim Walker

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks for getting back to me, I just figured when you updated a driver the old one would be deleted.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
YW.

That is true if the new driver is an update to the one you already have installed. In your case, you installed a different driver altogether.

Jim Walker

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
YW.

That is true if the new driver is an update to the one you already have installed. In your case, you installed a different driver altogether.

Understand - One more question. The network recognizes the WS series and it is connected but won't let me connect the XPS series. Is there a way to get rid of the WS and just use the XPS?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Is there a way to get rid of the WS and just use the XPS?
Have you tried setting the XPS driver as the default driver? This should allow you to have both drivers but preferentially use the XPS driver without selecting it each time. Right click on the XPS driver and select it as the default.

The WS driver is network-capable. I do not know if the XPS driver is. If setting the XPS driver to default does not work to your satisfaction, or you just want to get rid of the WS driver, you should be able to uninstall the WS driver from Programs in the Control Panel. I do not know your version of Windows, so the terminology may be slightly different for what Programs is listed as in Control Panel. In Windows 8.x and 10 it is Devices and Printers (IIRC).

Jim Walker

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
I tried setting the XPS to default but that made no difference. Tried uninstalling the WS but when I go to install the XPS it won't let me until I reinstall the WS. Guess I will just have to stick with the WS system. Thanks for all the help, things are getting to complicated for us old farts at least this one.:(

Jim Walker

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
I wanted to test it to see if would be any better. Guess I have too much time on my hands but it had my curiosity up.