1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Picture Of The Week (POW) Information and Submissions
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Official PK Poll: Is there any future in refilling?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. PK Featured Thread: The Epson RPM quality option - does it offer a benefit ?
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Pro-1 Ink absorber spilling on to rollers

Discussion in 'Canon InkJet Printers' started by The Ragster, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Nov 4, 2018
    The Ragster

The Ragster Newbie to Printing

Printer Model:
    Canon Pixma Pro-1
    I have started to notice marks appearing on my prints; mainly on the rear but now significantly visible on the front of the printed image. A look inside reveals that the ink absorber is overflowing and spilling out onto the feed rollers. I have had this printer almost since it was released 7 or so years ago and am reluctant to think that it is a 'consumable' device (having read some of the horror stories here). As a former service engineer I am not put off by getting my screwdrivers and spudger out, but does anyone have a video of this machine being disassembled, to help me on my way?
    I will need to take the carriage out to get in to clean the rollers. I also think I might have a go at fitting 'The Potty', as I'm sure the absorber will not take long to fill up again. Canon are not very helpful when it comes to supplying spare parts, but does anyone have a supplier in the UK (or EU) for the absorber? Can it be flushed of the ink in it?
    I only use Canon PGI-29 cartridges and would say I use it moderately - I tend to build up a lot of prints-in-waiting and do them in a batch. I'm not sure what the optimum method should be.

Attached Files:

2. Nov 5, 2018
    The Hat

The Hat Printer VIP Moderator

Printer Model:
    Canon were, BUT 3D is better..
    There are several things you can do, one is as you say to fit a Printer Potty and the other is to remove the platen sponge and clean the whole area, question:- how full is your waste ink cartridge, after 7 years it must be bursting..

What’s your nozzle check print like, can you post one up here, and are you still using the original print head..

3. Nov 5, 2018
    The Ragster

The Ragster Newbie to Printing

Printer Model:
    Canon Pixma Pro-1
    Thanks Hat
    I didn't know these had a waste ink cartridge. How accessible is it?
    The absorber, in front of the rollers is so full it is spilling on to the rollers behind. I'm happy to have a go at pulling this out and flushing it.
    Nozzle check is perfect, as are the prints - apart from the smudge along the length (Mainly on A3 and A3+ pages)! And yes, I still have the original print head.
    Scan of nozzle check attached. Vertical banding is due to my cheap scanner.

Attached Files:

4. Nov 5, 2018
    The Hat

The Hat Printer VIP Moderator

Printer Model:
    Canon were, BUT 3D is better..
    As far as the waste ink cartridge is concerned, that’s a no go, the amount of work and special brackets needed to remove it is out of the question for all but a Service Agent, but with the use of a Printer Potty this can be avoided.

Maybe this might help you get to grips with your excess ink problem..
    Pleas keep us up to date with your progress..
    O' and have fun.. ;)

Attached Files:

palombian, stratman and The Ragster like this.
  5. Nov 5, 2018
    stratman

stratman Printer VIP Platinum Printer Member

Printer Model:
    Canon MP830, Pencil
    From the Printer Potty PDF:

upload_2018-11-5_11-10-2.png

@The Hat - remind us the consequence of lack of both internal battery power and external mains power with a Pro 1?

The Hat likes this.