Pro 1 gloss lines?

Phill Lanes

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pro1
Hi All, I have recently acquired a Canon pro 1. It has had a full set of genuine inks and I have gone through the cleaning and set up process.
I am trying to learn to print my own work.
Following the instruction here to use the print module in LR so not using any Canon color managment.
I have some gloy 180GSM A5 Paper I am trying to profile with my XRite. If I print the test chart with a setting of Plain Paper the chart will print with no other issues than what seems to be a reduced Gamut range. If I print the chart with Photo Paper I get the below issue. To look at the chart the color is clearly deeper with the Phot Setting. I think this is a feed issue and I have cleaned the rollers and the bottom tray. Am I correct? Any help apprciated.

Phill
upload_2018-11-23_10-11-38.jpeg

Phill Lanes

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pro1
A Quick update,
I did some thinking and it seemed to me this issue has to be caused by the media type setting. So I looked at Canon genuine papers and found something of a similar Weight. Set that as media type. Re printed the chart and now have no scratches/lines. Am I correct or have I lucked it?

Phill Lanes

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pro1
Thanks for the response. I have just found some settings in the manual about this also. I suppose this also begs another question.
If I use lets say some Permajet paper with the supplied ICC, What media settings do I use to make the most of the profile? Or am I destined to create my own profiles all the time, So I have control of all of that? Seems like I have much to learn.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
If I use lets say some Permajet paper with the supplied ICC, What media settings do I use
The ICC printer profile is calculated for a specific printer, ink set and paper combination. Change any one of these three variables and you will need another ICC printer profile if you want to squeeze the most out of your printed images.

The ICC Printer Profile is for a specific media setting based on the type of paper used in making the profile. It appears Permajet supplies ICC Printer Profiles for their papers, although it asked for a logon to see them, so I did not see what was available. Either the paper type listed on he box of paper or the description of the ICC printer profile should clue you into what media setting to choose.

My guess is that their profiles are made using OEM Canon inks and, hopefully, your printer model. If you do no use the same exact ink that Permajet based their profile on then you will need a custom ICC printer profile made, which Permajet will do according to their web site. Or, make your own with your Xrite!

Keep in mind that you can always play around with media type settings to see what looks good to you whether you get a custom ICC printer profile or just use the OEM Canon profiles. Experimentation may result in something unexpectedly good on occasion.

Seems like I have much to learn.
Printing can be as wide and deep as you can handle. And then some. (eg Color Management) It's all up to you on how far down the rabbit hole you wish to explore.

Last edited:

Phill Lanes

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pro1
During the "Research before buying" period. I came to the conclusion that before a printer came along I needed to have the ability to profile my screen and a future printer. So I bought Color Munki. This does see to be very good. I have no Profiled the A5 paper (Original thread issue) and I can say that what I see in Soft proof is what I get from the printer. So It maybe seems that I will simply profile all paper. Thanks for the response.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
ColorMunki is good. Yes, each paper-printer-ink set combination will need it's own profile, at least theoretically. It really depends on your opinion/tolerance.

The one area I would likely go the whole nine yards is if selling my prints. Then I would use Canon OEM inks and custom ICC's if not using Canon paper.