printing notelets on A5 card - ip4500

stevec

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I wish to print out some notelets with pictures of my local church on the front for our upcoming church fair. Folded A5 card with a borderless photo on the front and a brief description on the rear. I have produced what I need using Adobe Illustrator but cannot get a totally borderless print. I put the card in the printer in lanscape and tell the Canon printer setup page I'm using A4 portrait as it does not have an option for A5. My thinking was that it would continue to print past the A5 edge and therefore present a complete borderless print. Unfortunately I always get an unprinted couple of mm at the bottom of the picture, the top and right hand edge being OK. I'm assuming it's detecting the end of the card even though I've told it to expect A4. Has anyone any suggestions as to how I can fool the printer into producing what I need?

Steve

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
stevec

Hi Steve I think I got it sorted for you.
In your layout sheet leave as portrait in A4, have your A5 picture at the top of your page size 211 x 150 mm. Put the picture half way down the page (it should bleed on three sides) at the top left / right sides, your picture should be upside down with text reading right way up. Keep text well away from bottom and sides, now your setup to print. I tried this on an i4700 and it works.
First select print, then select printer and then setup.
Now select preferences and then Borderless printing ( A4 ).
The Media type should automatically set to Photo paper plus ( thats ok )
Then set your Print Quality to Standard / High which ever gives you the best looking print and Click OK.
I hope this works out for you.. :)

stevec

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I will actually be printing on A5 card. This will then be folded therefore producing an A6 format. The picture therefore will be A6 size. Borderless printing does not have A5 as a size so I thought that if I arranged my A5 card layout (picture on one half, text on other half) but on an A4 layout sheet then this would print over the edge. However the printer seems to detect the edge of the A5 card (and not go on printing as if an A4) and so does not print over the edge of the A5 card.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
stevec

:) The same principal will apply even if you are only printing A5 size.
Again use a full A4 layout in Illustrator and only use the top half of it.
Turn you picture and type 90 degrees and then use the same procedure to print as explained in my previous reply
but this time put your A5 card in the back feed tray landscape and the printer will never know the difference..

stevec

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thats what I have been doing. But it does not print the trailing edge of the card (which would be the half way point of the A4 page). Its as if the printer has detected the edge (end) of the card and does print up to the trailing edge. (A5 card is in landscape)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
stevec

:( Sorry Steve I have being using A4 for printouts and didnt try it with A5.
The only other way to do it would be to use A4 2up and split after printing or stick the two cards together with a small piece of tape
but thats a bit of a bummer if you have lots to do.
I think if you have to have borderless pictures your best option is to start again with new A4 cards..

stevec

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for all that. Already have the cards unfortunately.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
stevec

I reckon you could try a single piece of tape on the back or shove another card in behind the one thats actually printing, it will eject second card without printing anything on it but youd have to stand over it till you finish all the cards..

msmart

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iP4500
What about exporting the AI page to a format that another app can read and print from it, say Photoshop?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
msmart

The problem is not with the Application but with the Canon print driver.
There are no provisions at all for A5 borderless printing in the print setup.. :(