Printing Letters using Colour Cartridge on Canon BJC-80/85

plevyadophy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Can someone tell me whether on the Canon BJC-80/85 printers, coloured ink is also used when you print a black & white document and are using the Colour Cartridge?

Or does the printer have the intelligence to use only ink from the Black Ink Tank?

Advice appreciated.

Thanks.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
plevyadophy, that's a great question, and one I've pondered with almost all of my printers (except my BJC-1000 where I had to swap out the B/W cartridge to use color).

Actually, a few times I've taken my 30x magnifier to see if I can see traces of color dots in my b/w pictures, but with better and better inkjet technology it is getting harder and harder to see the difference between straight black and mixed color black.

From my experience, when I select "photo paper" or even a higher quality printing mode, it seems that printers will print black using the colors to mix to black. If you are printing on regular paper with a regular quality setting then it seems that the blank ink is used.

Of course, most of this is just conjecture and I'd love to hear some other opinions / facts!

plevyadophy

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

Actually, the reason I asked is that usually I have a Black Cartridge installed. So everytime I wish to print in colour I have to fiddle around and change to a Colour Cartridge (CYM + Bk).

As I am starting to use colour a bit more now, I would much rather keep one Cartridge in place, and if the Black Ink Tank runs out, to supply replace it with a full one. However, this really depends on whether or not the Canon BJC-80/85 is wasting ink by mixing Cyan Yellow and Magenta to make black. If it isn't ...... then Hooray!! I can run my printer in a more convenient fashion.

But like you said, it would be nice to know for certain.

I hope someone has the answer.

Thanks.