Printing ICC profile targets

zer0blok

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro 10S
Happy May, Printers!

A beginner print-maker using Canon Pro 10S (on MacOS) and third-party inks. Stumped at how to know all colour management has been turned off on printer for the purpose of printing test targets from which custom ICC profiles will be made.

I've got Adobe Color Printer Utility which, to my understanding, has been made specifically for this purpose. However, there is no clarity in the printer dialogue box (opened from ACPU) as to whether colour management is off. Neither the instructions from Adobe nor the inumerable online forums I've been reading through have helped. -It seems that if I was running Windows there would be a specific option which literally is 'no colour management', possibly also if it was an Epson printer on Mac there would be this option, but on Mac /Canon the driver only has two options: ColorSync and Canon Color Matching.

If anyone using the Pro-10S on Mac has printed targets please would you let me know what the process is? -It may be that ACPU is fine (with ColorSync checked) but at the moment I simply don't know if it is.

Alternatively, I've come across the suggestion of using ColorSync Utility to print the targets, as it does provide an additional dialogue box to 'Print As Color Target'... it was a suggestion with no confirmation from anyone else, so again, I don't know for sure if this is correct.

Regards :)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Adobe Color Printer Utility
I do not use Mac or this utility. I did find the following concerning your issue:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/no-color-management-option-missing.html

If that doesn't do it then there is a Note at the bottom that may be helpful:

Note:

In some printer drivers, select Advanced or Custom to locate these options.

There is a Adobe forum on this topic:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/ligh...-targets-without-color-management/m-p/3130882

zer0blok

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro 10S

zer0blok

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro 10S
A brief follow-up and re-iteration:

Sadly, Canon support are sending me links to information i already have and which doesn't address /clarify the issue. I'm slightly perplexed it is an issue -to the point i'm doubting my ability to understand information!

From what I can gather this is a specific thing with MacOS and Canon printers: in Windows, and (I think) on Mac using an Epson, there is a box with the option to choose 'color management off /no color management'; this magical box does not appear in the software I've got for my setup (ACPU, Canon Print Studio, Photoshop).

The only software that does have this box is ColorSync Utility... but I don't know if it's appropriate to use this because I've only seen it mentioned once among scores of different forums /discussion boards, and there was no acknowledgment /follow-up to the suggestion.

zer0blok

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro 10S
Have you read the following?

https://www.colourphil.co.uk/profiling-adobe-utility-mac.shtml

Seems to answer your questions.

Possibly, it does... from the page: "On a Mac the printer driver should automatically switch 'Color Management' OFF (and be 'greyed-out')" -

-but, there is no apparent 'color management off': in the dialogue-box under Color Matching, ColorSync is checked and greyed out... is this the color manangement turned off? -It could be, but I don't know, because it's not clear.

Nowhere have i seen anyone saying, for Mac /Canon, "in ACPU when you go to Print >Color Matching, the ColorSync box should be checked and that means all colour management is off." That to me would be clear. I was hoping someone could confirm this for me.

On the other hand, I have since initially posting found information from Andrew Rodney on Apple's ColorSync Utility, confirming its use for printing profile targets, through the 'Print As Color Target' option in the dialogue-box. I'm going ahead with making the profile targets through this. Hopefully all will be well.

Thanks for your time, i appreciate the interaction.

Regards
:)