Printing close to edge of paper canon pixma ip4000?

jayjay22

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hello, I recently got an ip4000. I think it is a great printer for the small amount they ask for it ($99 After Rebate). However, I am trying to print full DVD case covers on regular 8 1/2 x 11" matte photo paper. I thought trhat since this printer does borderless prints up to 8 1/2 x 11" (a feature I have tried, and it works flawlessly when printing a photo) then it means it had a larger printable area for any kind of printing. However when I try to print the cover on regular photo paper, it still cuts it off about 1/2 inch from the edge of the page. I still have to tape the photo paper to another piece to make it a bit longer to print the whole thing on the first sheet. I checked the options for borderless printing, and it seems that with borderless printing, it is all or none, entire page filled or no borderless printing. So, my question is does anyone know how to do this? I assume that it is a software controlled thing... i.e. if the software tells the printer to print closer to the end of the paper, it will. Is this correct? Anyone know of a cover print software which can do this? Or is there something I am doing wrong. Thanks for your help!

drc023

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, iP8720, MG6220
I have no problem printing borderless with any of the applications I use. Microsoft Publisher is the one I use for most of my printing and it is flawless in how it performs. Which application are you using for the DVD covers? Have you made sure there aren't any margins set in the program and within the Canon driver have you moved the slider bar all the way to the left (which controls the amount of borderless extension)?

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I use Photoshop Elements. Open a blank page 8.5x11. Move the images you want to print onto the blank page. Resize as desired - you can have the grid and ruler functions on for this - and move the image to the location you want it to print. Flatten the layers to reduce the size of the file, and print a borderless 8.5x11. It will have white areas if the original blank page was not covered with the image you wish to print, but that can be cut off. Follow DRC's advice on the borderless printing slider.

jayjay22

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
HOLY Moses! It works! I misunderstood what the printer driver was telling me when it says "you have selected borderless printing... document to be printed is slightly enlarged so that it extends off the edge of the paper" I took that to mean that it would basically blow up the entire cover to fill the whole page! Thanks for helping me figure this out drc and fotofreek, this printer just became my new favoritist thing in the entire world. Woo-Hoo, no more taping paper together! Sorry, I'm easily excitable. Seriously though, thanks for the prompt help.