printers that use cli-8 inks ?

dwolf

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
If my printer is toast I would like to replace it with another canon that uses the cli-8 inks..
or any other printer that I could use the same refill kit that I have. I've filled so many of these carts that I am quite comfortable doing it, after spilling my share of ink.. (on paper) I have gotten it down and I just bought more ink.
I tried a google search for printers that use these carts but mostly landed on sites that just sell the carts.
I'm really looking to find a new older model not to spend too much..
Thanks
Dwolf

RMM

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
All of the older ones that are new are very expensive.
A better alternative would be to find a good used one.

There are many but the ip4300 and ip4500 are both good choices.

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Look for used one on Kijiji, craigslist local ad. Review the spec and cartridge used at usa.canon.com

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
There are basically three types of Canon printers:
1) Plain printer that has a pigment black cartridge (PGI-5Bk) and some CLI-8 cartridges.
2) Photo printer that only has CLI-8 cartridges.
3) All-in-one that has the same cartridges as (1) but larger with more functions.

Which type are you looking for and what CLI-8 colors do you have refill inks for?

Examples of type (1) are:
iP3300 and iP3500 with three CLI-8 cartridges
The two that RMM listed with four CLI-8 cartridges

Example of type (2) are:
iP6600 with six CLI-8 cartridges
Pro9000 with eight CLI-8 cartridges

An example of type (3) is:
MX700 with three CLI-8 cartridges
MX850 with four CLI-8 cartridges

You can tell what cartridges any printer has by going to Canon's website here and typing in the model number of the printer.

dwolf

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
have a ip4200

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
If you want to continue with a plain printer then you could get another used iP4200 or you could switch to an iP4300 or iP4500. You get more nozzles with each higher numbered model.

I just checked craigslist in my area (Los Angeles) and there are several of these printers available right now. Just make sure when you buy a used printer that it does a perfect nozzle check before you commit to buy. Most of these simple Canon printer will do a nozzle check if you hold in the paper feed button until the power light flashes twice.

dwolf

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
With the inks I have for the cli-8 carts... are there other canon printers with different cart that I can use the same needles and inks to refill... might make it easier to find a replacement printer..?

Pixma iP3600 Photo Printer for example ???

wilko

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma
The only disadvantages with these later printers is that their cartridges hold a smaller amount of ink and you will need to buy a new resetter for the chips. You will also need to purchase some more empty cartridges as your cl-8 ones will not fit.

As suggested go for a good used IP4300 or IP4500

dwolf

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I don't feel good about a used printer... these things have such an unknown shelf life and a used one is not that cheap and could die or be clogged tomorrow...
I have a coupon for $25 off at staple.. and am looking at either the mp560 or the ip4600 for $75
I never used the resetter on my old printer

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Just don't get one that uses CLI-226 cartridges.

You might also want to consider buying two printers so that you don't have to go through this exercise again in a few more years. That will also give you a second set of OEM cartridges to have refilled and ready to go.