printer won't print, yet queue empty

Paul W.

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 1430 HP 932 Canon iP8720
I'm printing with an Epson 1430 and QTR (QuadToneRip). Yesterday, suddenly, when I tapped the Print button, nothing happened. I tried a couple times, no luck. I got out of QTR to look at the Queue reading in the Windows 10 utility, and there was nothing in the Queue. I went to the Print Spooler in Administrative Tools to empty the Spooler but this didn't help. Eventually I closed QTR and re-booted. Then I got a print, actually several prints, they were behaving like prints in a queue. I shut down again to empty the "queue". Then the whole process repeated when I opened QTRip again, starting with the Print button not printing.

I also have a 1400, tested that and QTR worked fine, so I know the trouble is not the computer. Then I swapped the cables at the computer end, the two printers were in neighboring USB ports. Then it worked.

I'm not sure I phrased this very well. So far so good. Anyone have a similar experience? If I know what happened maybe I can avoid this scenario in the future. Or maybe this is simply a case of "If it ain't broke don't fix it".

Thanks all... Happy Thanksgiving!

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Did you install the latest Win 10 update (1909) ?

Paul W.

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 1430 HP 932 Canon iP8720
Did you install the latest Win 10 update (1909) ?

Thanks, Palombian,

I thought I was up to date, but as I examined the update page, I realized I was up to only 1903. Upon more careful reading I noticed 1909 under the Features heading, that appears to contain more, well, features than 1903. So I went ahead and updated my Windows 10 to 1909. Thank you for pointing that out

As you'll note in my previous post, my problem seemed to straighten itself out - I don't know what caused it to work. But with the 1909 my printer seems to print more responsively. I can't go wrong with that update! Makes me wonder what they fixed.

Thank again!

Paul W.