Printer to feed 300gsm, custom sized paper?

dolaf

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP ENVY 4502
Hi everybody,

Really hope somebody can help.

I am printing my wedding invitations on some pre-cut 300gsm paper sized at 135mm x 135mm. I have tried two printers and both have one problem or another:
- HP ENVY 4500 series, doesn't feed paper, the 300gsm is just too thick.
- HP DeskJet 3050 - feeds okay but doesn't print 'custom sized' paper.

Can anyone recommend a printer that would do the job, i've looked everywhere. :(

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Try checking the HP Officejet K8600 or K850 to see if they might work. I know they have straight through paper paths but I don't know how they might handle the pre-cut.

Also, as a work-around, have you considered building a "carrier" of some sort that allows you to put the custom cut media in the centre while making up the outside to to the required A4/Letter size?

Basically that last is the same kind of approach that CD and ID card systems sometimes use. Just some out of the box thinking that might help.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I have no difficulty putting 300 gm board through most of my Canon printers, size doesn’t matter..

dolaf

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP ENVY 4502
The ENVY tries to feed the sheet around sharply and as the card is so thick it just gets stuck. A straight through (with custom print sizes) is the answer it seems. I'll try one more HP (I have spare ink for these) and then it may be onto trying a Canon.

Also, as a work-around, have you considered building a "carrier" of some sort that allows you to put the custom cut media in the centre while making up the outside to to the required A4/Letter size?

Basically that last is the same kind of approach that CD and ID card systems sometimes use. Just some out of the box thinking that might help.

Tried fixing the card onto an a4 sheet with the DeskJet but the cartridge was rubbing on the card and causing it to streak.

Thanks guys hopefully will get there eventually. :he

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
If you are using custom sizes then try cutting your board the opposite way so the grain will run across the board instead of length ways, it may feed a little better with this method..

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Thanks guys hopefully will get there eventually. :he
Keep us posted either way... This stuff is useful to get "from the trenches" as it were.

... although we're somewhat* sorry you have to suffer to get us the intel.

*somewhat in the sense we're relieved it's not us for a change ;)

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
As I read here on the forum the gsm does not relate to paper thickness at all !!!

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
As I read here on the forum the gsm does not relate to paper thickness at all !!!
Technically it does not, it stands for "Grams Square Metre" which is a weight measure. However typically the higher the GSM the thicker the paper, 300GSM card stock is likely to be similar to a quality business card so im not shocked he is having issues, especially when the paper size is so small 135x135mm.

Thats going to be very stiff stuff for a printer to handle/feed at that size, on a bit of common A4 (or "Letter" as our friends in the USA use) he may get away with it. The smaller the paper physical dimensions though the harder the time the printer will have as the paper will be less flexible. Like a plank of wood a short bit of 2x4 wont flex, a 10ft long bit will though ;)

If it were me id drop down to around 220-250GSM and the issues will probably vanish. On decent paper it will still be a nice quality invite.

telv

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have printed a lot of wedding invitation cards on 300gsm and above with Canon printers. Using good quality like ColorCopy will avoid thickness issues. Any Canon with a rear feed should do the job