Printer putting too much ink on page?

Token

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Recently, i started to use hobbicolors ink (UW8 inks and pigment black) in my printer (a canon ip3500), and, for most intents and purposes, i experience great quality printing. However, when i print images, the black ink always bleeds into the other colours, creating blurry text.

This happens to the greatest extent when i use the plain paper setting (and, i don't think its my paper, because i tested it with 3 different brands of paper for the plain paper mode test, and it still bleeds), but it happens in some other settings as well. However, when i instructed the printer to print using either "glossy photo paper',"inkjet hagaki", 'hagaki' or 'photo paper plus doube sided', the image comes out fine, albeit very slowly. I initially thought ink drying time may be the sole issue, but when i printed using high quality in plain paper mode (which was slow) i also had the issue (but to a lesser extent). I also tried printing in plain paper mode with standard quality on quite mode, but this caused horrible bleeding while also taking longer than non-quiet mode. I printed with plain paper mode with standard quality with the ink drying time set to maximum, and it was indeed much slower, but it still bled.

So now i am left with the option that the printer puts too much of the hobbicolors pigment ink on the paper in plain paper mode, and, as a result of this the ink bleeds. Is there any way for me to fix this by, say, selectively reducing the amount of black ink the printer puts out? Or, a way to print in 'glossy photo paper' mode faster? Or some other alternative?

Or, is something completely different at play here?

Thanks

fish

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I had the same experience with paper that I used with other pigment black with no problems. Prints are fine if you use better paper (25% rag or better). I have since gone back to Inktek and IS pigment black with no problems (with original paper). I have also switched back to IS from Mikling for dye inks.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Go to you "printing preferences" then on ":Color intensity" select Manual. Click button "Set" and drag intensity slider to the left.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Be careful with the IP3500. I you choose glossy photopaper or hagaki or similar, no black ink from your PGI-5 cartridge is used, and your "black" is created by mixing CMY dye inks to make something very dark. If your black PGI-5 pigment ink is bleeding maybe your cartridge is oversaturated. Did you use the Durchstich refill method to refill ?

Token

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
pharmacist: I don't use the Durchstich as yet, and i have filled the cartridges by the 'normal' method after i flushed them out, but i do intend to use the method when thay run dry. I have also been using these carts for a few weeks, so i thought if it was flooded, it would have fixed it;;self by now...
I do, however, have another refilled black cart ready to use, and i will try that when i get home tonight.

Smile: will reducing the colour intensity make my image look whiter/lighter, or will it reduce the darkness of the black?

fish

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I had emailed Hobbicolors about the problem. Dave indicated that it was paper problem, which is true if higher quality paper is used. Switching back inks has eliminated the bleeding problem with the original papers.

You can also use draft mode to reduce ink but will have lighter print and still have bleeding.

Token

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
ok, i tried my other cartridge, and i still had the problem. I also tried reducing the intensity, and, although the image was lighter, it still bled.
For the record, my first pigment black cart was just over half empty, so i dont think it was flooded.

fish

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Unfortunately, it is the ink. I used 25% rag paper until I used up the ink (for good printing only) and was expensive. No problems with IS or Inktek ink on cheaper paper.

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
Pigmented black ink for inkjet printers are optimized for black text printing on plain paper. Dye based photo inks are optimized for color graphics and photos on inkjet paper (coated inkjet paper including all photo papers). If you want to print black text right on top of color images you really should print with all dye based photo ink only.

Don't forget that if you set he paper to plain paper all the black in your image/text will be printed with the black pigmented ink. Since the black pigmented ink is not a photo ink you should not be surprised that your result will not be optimal. Not only your black text will not be razor sharp your color image will be crappy too.

I just printed a Disney cartoon image on a sheet of plain paper with a set of OEM ink cartridges on my MP780. There is a stripe of black on top of a red background. I set the media to plain paper and I can see that the stripe of black is blurred. The red background right next to the black stripe is darkened too. When I set the media to matte photo paper and print again the black stripe is printed sharply with no blurring. So you really want to ask yourself a question. Why do you want to print all the black in a color image with black pigmented ink? You can do it but is is a misuse of your inkjet printer really. It is a waste of your expensive black pigmented ink. I would print color images )with black text in the inage) with Epson Presentation Paper or simialr coated inkjet paper. The paper is a little more expensive but the prints are simply awesome. There is no pint to print on plain paper and want to use the pigmented black ink to print the black text which also causes a compromise to your color image. You end up with poor print and cost your more for the ink.

Token

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Ok, so when i use presentation paper, i do i change the paper type? Or do i continue to use plain paper? Also, if i print a page with text and graphics on it, is there any way to print the text in pigment black, and the image in colour inks? My printer doesnt have a photo black cartridge, so all blacks will be made in photo mode (and certain other modes) by blending C, M and Y to give black. Is there any way to avoid this?