Printer MG5250 and error B200

Radeon89

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am interested in buying a printer with error B200.

The owner said to me that he disabled the color nozzles with same electrical tape applied to the printhead and after this he was able to print in black and white.

I would like to buy this printer for its logic board and power supply, how much chances there are that these parts still work?

I am asking this because I have understood that the error b200 is not related to the print head only.

Thanks in advance

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
You find a service manual for the MG5200 series printers here. See pages 11/62 and 12/62 for the B200 error. It is seeen that it is a serious electronic error in the print head. It is suggested to replace both the the logic board and the print head. It might also be necessary to replace the power supply and carriage unit.

When a Canon print head fails electronically it can damage the logic board and a logic board that has been damaged in this way can damage a new print head. Replacing a Canon print head is a gamble and I cannot tell the odds for success.

I would not buy this printer unless it was very cheap, not much more than one Euro. A new print head might bring the printer back to full working order, but are you willing to gamble maybe 100 Euro? The print head is QY6-0080 if you want to search for one. Beware of print heads from the Far East offered on Ebay or Amazon. They are most likely used print heads that have been cleaned and repackaged to look like new but might be defective out of the package.

Radeon89

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thank you Peter.

However I want to buy this printer not to let it works again but just for spare parts, logic board and power supply are the two parts that I would like to save.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
You might be lucky that the logic board has not been damaged by the defective print head. The taping of some pads on the print head might have prevented damage to the logic board. If the defective printer is able to turn on and work, the power supply is OK.

Radeon89

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Do you know if with some electronic knowledge is possible to repair the logic board?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I don't think so. An electronics technician would need both a description of the circuit board, proper test equipment and access to spare parts. In servicing defective printers defective circuit boards are replaced, not repaired. I think the info and parts are nowhere to be found outside the Canon printer factories.

Radeon89

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
and do you know if the same logic board is installed on other printers or it is specific to the model mg5250 ?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I don't know for sure, but I think each printer model has its own logic board type. Maybe some very similar printer models use the same circuit board but with different firmware programmed at manufacture? But without much more info than might be found in a parts catalog you cannot tell.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
It has been observed that a B200 is reversible, even on the same printhead (for some time, until the same condition reappears).
And placing a new printhead can make the error disappear for much longer.

This suggests the logic board detects the high current in the printhead before it blows up itself (what seems to me a "logical" behaviour for a logic board) and that there is some history kept.

So, if the error does not occur with some contacts masked, the high current could be in some of the nozzles.
This does of coarse not exclude that some circuits in the logic board are damaged, but as long as the printer functions why should it.

But even then it is not economically justifiable to invest in a new printhead in this case.
And even if you can get a (fully functional) second hand, why should you remove the head to place it in a less reliable item ?

Only when you have a few printers sharing the same printhead in stock, evt with a some extra heads, you can do tricks as getting a top of the range model (double side ADF, try to find it new these days) with a printhead error for free and stick the head of the cheapest model you found fully working for € 20.