printer Ink water/dye based v/s pigment based

trendsetter369

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I understand there are two types of printer inks. Dye based or pigment based.

My question is

Can we fill a pigment ink[in bulk available locally] in any pigment based cartridges of differerent models of the same manufecturer

Can this ink be filled in any other pigment based cartridege of other mfrs.

My local bulk ink seller says he is not sure the pigment based ink for Epson CX 7800 will work with other mfr say HP/canon.

Are these inks mfr based or a pigment based ink can be filled inany pigment based cartridge of other mfrs.

If it will not work why ?. Is there any ink thickness issue

can dye based ink be filled in pigment based cartridge. I have brother bulk ink dye based with me as spare.

I do not have the knowledge.:cool:

trendsetter369

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
It is nice to be important, but it is more important to be NICE

Bertil

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Dye based ink can to my experience be filled in a pigment based cartridge.I always do it for my black textprint cartridges in order to avoid future clogging.It is of course not archival but I dont need that for my use.

trendsetter369

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks Bertil for your quick and meaningful reply. I have a brother ink which I am told is DYE or Water based ink and it can be filled in Epson Stylus CX 7800
cartridge[ cartridge no is T060120 } . please reply then I will do the needful. Thanks in advance .

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Epson printers use a mechanical method to eject the ink out of the nozzles while most other printers, for example Canon and HP, boil the ink which causes it to be ejected. Therefore you shouldn't mix inks between those manufacturers but with different printers made by the same manufacturer, there should be no problem. Also, it is not a good idea to use a pigment ink where a dye ink is supposed to be used because the pigment has tiny particulate matter that makes it more permanent on plain paper and can clog the smaller nozzles designed for dye ink.

trendsetter369

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks ghwellsjr
for your valuable tip.

i have bulk ink for brother printers and using it successfully for various brother printers.

My question is IS the brother ink is dye based. If so I am being told Dye based ink can be used in pigment based cartridges. not vice versa Is it possible.

I want to put Brother ink into Epson Stylex 7800 cartridge T60120. Can I do itLast question Which Mfrs or printers use Dye based ink and pigment based ink.

thanks in advance for replying. need help badlyas I lack knowledge on this.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I believe that Brother uses the same technology as Canon and HP, boiling ink, and so it would not be a good idea to put Brother ink in an Epson cartridge.

Most manufacturers use a pigment black ink for use on plain paper and all the other inks in a printer are dye. Epson's DURABrite ink is pigment. But now there is a least one Canon printer that uses all pigment inks so the rule doesn't hold true anymore.

If you want to know if a particular model of printer uses dye or pigment ink, you should look on the website for that printer.

trendsetter369

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
ghwellsjr said:
I believe that Brother uses the same technology as Canon and HP, boiling ink, and so it would not be a good idea to put Brother ink in an Epson cartridge.

Most manufacturers use a pigment black ink for use on plain paper and all the other inks in a printer are dye. Epson's DURABrite ink is pigment. But now there is a least one Canon printer that uses all pigment inks so the rule doesn't hold true anymore.

If you want to know if a particular model of printer uses dye or pigment ink, you should look on the website for that printer.
Thanks for your valuable input. That means I can put brother ink in Canon and HP and NOT IN EPSON. Burt some people say on this forum that

a dye based ink can be put in a pigment based cartridge with the same technology.

For example can I put brother ink in Canon and HP as they use the same boiling ink technology
Please reply. thanks in advance.:)

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
It's not going to hurt the print head to put dye ink in it when it's designed for pigment. The problem you might have is that since the nozzles are significantly larger than what dye ink is designed for, the ink may leak out of the print head, onto the park/purge pad, making a mess, wasting ink, or worse, soaking back up into other colors contaminating them inside the cartridges.

You may also have a problem getting the colors to produce the correct shades which can happen anytime you use a generic ink not designed for your specific printer.

The other issue is that you're giving up the advantage of pigment ink.

But, since you are having problems getting the correct bulk ink, you'll just have to try using a less than optimal ink to see how it works for you. Good luck and keep us posted.

trendsetter369

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
ghwellsjr said:
It's not going to hurt the print head to put dye ink in it when it's designed for pigment. The problem you might have is that since the nozzles are significantly larger than what dye ink is designed for, the ink may leak out of the print head, onto the park/purge pad, making a mess, wasting ink, or worse, soaking back up into other colors contaminating them inside the cartridges.

You may also have a problem getting the colors to produce the correct shades which can happen anytime you use a generic ink not designed for your specific printer.

The other issue is that you're giving up the advantage of pigment ink.

But, since you are having problems getting the correct bulk ink, you'll just have to try using a less than optimal ink to see how it works for you. Good luck and keep us posted.
thanks for the answer. I have another question.

I am going to buy EPSON pigment based ink. The question is Can we refill pigment based ink of epson into other mfrs pigment based ink cartridge viz canon, HP and DellI am told brother is using dyebased ink