Printer does a lot of purges, could EEPROM reset help

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Since I placed a potty on my MX7600, it seems to me the printer does very frequent purge actions. It even empties a cartridge before the ink level counter is down.
I imagine Canon must know somewhere about the potty and wants to punish me.
Or is my potty placed too low (about 40 cm down) and sucks the ink out ?

In the service mode there is an EEPROM initialisation (push 3 times).
What is the risk doing this ?

I already have reset the ink counter (D=011.5 after about 2000p).

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The only way that I know that a printer will do more frequent cleaning cycles is by running it with the ink monitor disabled, or by changing the ink cart one at a time.

I have never Frigged with the EPROM software, I reckon it’s better to leave well enough alone and never encourage a firmware update either.

My Potty on one of my printers sits 10 cm below the bottom and works just as normal as the others which are at the same level as the printers, try raising the pot a bit higher..:oops:

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
500 ml will be enough for some time I guess :D.

According to this post
https://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/please-help-interpret-this-ip6700-eeprom-print-test.11632/
resetting the EEPROM is a bad idea.

I made an EEPROM print to know the exact page count, will (try to) note ink changes and evaluate in a few months.

IMG_6559_S.JPG

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
If you look at page 49/65 in the service manual some settings are protected from a reset, probably for warranty reasons, but number of pages printed is not one of the protected items. It would be a pity to lose that info, so I agree the EEPROM should not be reset.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
At first sight the actual setting (see photo in previous post) is better.

The printer does a lot of movements who are not cleaning cycles, among them "ink quality maintenance" (shaking the pigment ink), and with the purge tube vertical could see ink drops moving down.
With the horizontal path they stay where they are.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
The solid columns/ blocks of ink is creating a constant negative pressure on the purging station...though a siphonic action.

In your setup you need to bring the mouth of the bottle up to the a little above the bottom of the printer and then immediately have the exit tube dump into the bottle. So bring the bottle up, shorten the tube to go straight into the bottle and you're done. Less than a couple minutes of mods and you'll have the fix.