Printable DVD

Grey

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hey I recently tried to print on printable DVDs with my Canon 9500 mk2 but the image flakes off with light abrasion... it was fine with the cheaper AIO dye inkjet.

Anyone face this problem and have any solutions? e.g. coating after printing/specific DVD brands?

I'm still on oem ink since they're not finished yet.

Thanks in advance

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Pigment inks are no good on printable DVDs. Even if they say it is. Dye is king here!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I have printed only 4 CDs using my pigment printers one on the Pro 1 and 3 on the 9500,
I was using JVC/Verbatim glossiness and matte surfaces and they printed perfectly.

I only used pigment inks on these CDs just as a trail to see how they would turn out but as Jtoolman has already pointed out,
dye inks are much the same for quality and at about half the price..

cls

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
8560, 8570, 1400, 1500W, P50 e
I recently purchased a used Epson Discproducer PP100
pp100_back_large.png

That a small beast that burns up to 100 Discs and prints them, each disc individually without any further handling after setup.
It uses a 6 Color based Claria Epson Print engine much like the Epson P50/T50 Artisan 50 or Epson 1400

Its dye based and Epson suggest so called "Watershield" Media to print on, they have a glossy shiny surface and the look like professional made DVDs. I use Ritek Media with matte coating and its fine for me

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
That is a great machine! Though it is apparently discontinued? The Primera Bravo 4100 is also great and blazing fast. I just use a Bravo II and print all my DVD with it. Much slower but good enough quality for my needs. I do instructional Metal Working and Machining DVDs that I sell through a few companies. So I am only printing in batches of 25 DVDs. I use Water Shield DVDs. Perfectly Glossy surface that prints gorgeously with Dye inks.
If you have a Pigment Printer with a Gloss Optimizer then it will also print very nicely on these discs. My R1900 and R2000 print DVDs very well on glossy discs.

Grey

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
holy, that Epson is so hardcore. I think that's probably similar to what all the old fashioned pirates used. hahaha thanks guys. I learned more than I expected.

I guess its time to find a cheap epson that'll take CD's. Canon label their printers in Asia differently from USA. So I can't get good inks for them at the moment.

Cheers!

cls

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
8560, 8570, 1400, 1500W, P50 e
@jtoolman
no its not discontinued. Epson even introduced a blu ray version and I guess will soon support M-disc aswell http://www.ritek.com/p2-pro1-M-DISC.asp
I had two inqueries regarding dvd copy and printing but both with a volume above 500 disc. now the next inquery will be done by myself and I hope that this nasty beast will pay for it self with in 6 month. but it still has an aweseome resale value.
Its hooked up with usb and the software is very easy to understand. only thing is that a Nozzle check will consume 1 blank CD ! :(

Fenrir Enterprises

Print Addict
Reaction score
I used to print CDs on my R220 with pigment inks all the time. Never really noticed a problem.