Primera LX900 Missing Black Cartridge despite replacement and new PH (VERY STRANGE CIRCUMSTANCE)

kanda_xx

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
LX900
Hi,

I have a second hand Primera LX900 I bought a few months ago. It worked fine when first purchased and was used for a under 100 prints. After a while I stopped using it so put it in storage (without power) for a while. When I needed to use it again, it no longer would work.

It detects the black ink cartridge as missing.

I have replaced the black ink cartridge with a new one. I have thoroughly cleaned the copper contacts with isopropyl alcohol. I have deep-cleaned the printhead. I am using the newest firmware and drivers, I have tried printing from a different computer, a different USB cord. I have power cycled the printer. I have tried removing the RFID chip (from the old ink which is still at ~25% capacity). I have done everything I and support can think of. Most importantly, I have tried multiple black ink cartridges (old and brand new), and multiple print heads, (old and brand new) without success, or any difference in the error message. Note that PTStatus detects both the old and new cartridge as being at "21.5% capacity" or somtimes at 22%.

The strange part is that the printer has printed once, perfectly. I had a print job queued, and was going through the clean/purge process, when it paused half way through and printed the waiting job. I have been unable to replicate this. Furthermore, the printer prints the black coloured print guides (for calibrating your measurements, completely fine. It is unable to do so when the black ink is not fitted.

Primera support has been very very unhelpful and has barely tried to troubleshoot at all, telling me that I should continue to buy new printheads until one works, continue to buy new cartridges, etc etc. They want me to mail the printer from Australia to Hong Kong in order to have it looked at. The minimum cost for that is $300 + whatever the postage is.

I would estimate that the postage would be at least $300 as well if not significantly more.

Does anyone have any insight into how I can fix this issue? I think it's software based, but I have no idea how to fix it.

kanda_xx

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
LX900
Please note that I think this printer is a repackaged Lexmark (LX100 series?)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
That would be my suggestion too, repackage it up and put it in a dumpster somewhere, its dead so no cost and just move on..

mshakur

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
primera lx900
Hi,

I have a second hand Primera LX900 I bought a few months ago. It worked fine when first purchased and was used for a under 100 prints. After a while I stopped using it so put it in storage (without power) for a while. When I needed to use it again, it no longer would work.

It detects the black ink cartridge as missing.

I have replaced the black ink cartridge with a new one. I have thoroughly cleaned the copper contacts with isopropyl alcohol. I have deep-cleaned the printhead. I am using the newest firmware and drivers, I have tried printing from a different computer, a different USB cord. I have power cycled the printer. I have tried removing the RFID chip (from the old ink which is still at ~25% capacity). I have done everything I and support can think of. Most importantly, I have tried multiple black ink cartridges (old and brand new), and multiple print heads, (old and brand new) without success, or any difference in the error message. Note that PTStatus detects both the old and new cartridge as being at "21.5% capacity" or somtimes at 22%.

The strange part is that the printer has printed once, perfectly. I had a print job queued, and was going through the clean/purge process, when it paused half way through and printed the waiting job. I have been unable to replicate this. Furthermore, the printer prints the black coloured print guides (for calibrating your measurements, completely fine. It is unable to do so when the black ink is not fitted.

Primera support has been very very unhelpful and has barely tried to troubleshoot at all, telling me that I should continue to buy new printheads until one works, continue to buy new cartridges, etc etc. They want me to mail the printer from Australia to Hong Kong in order to have it looked at. The minimum cost for that is $300 + whatever the postage is.

I would estimate that the postage would be at least $300 as well if not significantly more.

Does anyone have any insight into how I can fix this issue? I think it's software based, but I have no idea how to fix it.
my printer is doing the exact same thing. How were you able to get yours working again?