Primera duplicator 4100 series 4101 single drive , can I add a 2nd drive?

justwondering

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Primera XR
I am wondering if it is possible to add a 2nd drive. or will Ptpublisher know the system is a 1 drive only system?

I have all the correct kit , as I have another Primera duplicator with a 2 drives.....

But before I take them apart to try the 2nd drive in the single drive duplicator , I just wondered if someone else has tried this ? already , or am I wasting my time in trying ?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I reckon it may well work but you have to have the series 2 software loaded for this printer to enable it to recognise the second drive and an arm long enough to reach down to the new drive.

Try running the software for this printer to see if it can access the second drive first..

justwondering

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Primera XR
Hi Thank you for your reply , I have it set up at the moment , it is running the latest Ptpublisher software 2.2.1

So I am guessing , based on your reply , I would say the arm length on the robotics is definitely long enough , based on how it has to reach all the way down to pick up the last disc in the left or right bin , which is lower than the 2nd tray would be.

One thing PTpublisher does clearly state when it loads up "Disc publisher 4100 series (4101) , based on a 4101 model only having one drive , I am guessing , PTpublisher will recognize the drive is in the top and bottom slots on the unit....But when it comes to duplicating , it might not give me the option of using "Both" drives in the options , like it would on my dual drive unit....

But I am happy to give it a try....although the 4101 is different from my XI , in that it looks like you need to take off units case to get to the drives , where as on a older XI , there is 4 screws at the back and the back panel comes off , making it a bit more of a chore compared with a XI..... would be cool to have some confirmation that it is possible and will work , then I would be only to happy to dive in and give it a bash.....only thing I am lacking at the moment is spare time.....

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Once you install the new drive, your printer will be able to see it, and so will the software, but the is a possibility that EPROM chip may not allow the second unit to be initialised.. :hu

justwondering

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Primera XR
thank you for your reply, is there any way to reprogram the Eprom, or would I require a new controller board?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Most likely a new board, but is it worth upsetting a functioning printer.. :oops: