Preparing paper

Nicholas Pounder

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP K7100
Is there any solution to invisibly prepare a fine art paper surface for inkjet printing, ie leaving no apparent difference in the paper's appearance. I want to print onto Rising Stonehenge using an Epson Stylus Pro 3880. I have looked at Golden Digital Grounds but there range is matte white, clear gloss, and the non porous surface mix.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I guess the paper is intended for water colour painting?

A sizing solution might improve the print, but I think it will work only with dye inks and I think the Epson is a pigment ink printer?

Here is a thread about treating paper with a gelatin solution or Canon gloss optimizer, and here are my results trying to turn a piece of plain paper into photo paper using gelatin.

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
@PeterBJ :

Great results on plain paper with the gelatin!

Nicholas Pounder

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP K7100
With smaller formats I have had quite good results using Canon "Pigment Reaction". Will now lookik into geletin sizing and see if I can do that without evidence. I also wonder about the longevity of such a printed surface.

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Is there any solution to invisibly prepare a fine art paper surface for inkjet printing, ie leaving no apparent difference in the paper's appearance. I want to print onto Rising Stonehenge using an Epson Stylus Pro 3880. I have looked at Golden Digital Grounds but there range is matte white, clear gloss, and the non porous surface mix.
Have you tried inkjet printing on this paper "straight out of the package"? If so, what was the result? It will probably accept dye inks very readly. Pigment inks may not "adhere" well.