Precision Colors Canon Pro 1 vs Pro 10 Inks

William Seaward

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 1, 10, 100
Hi Guys,

I'm getting ready to switch over to the new Signature Edition inks for my Pro 1 but I have quite a bit of the regular (for lack of a better word) ink left over. Can I use these inks in my Pro 10?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I reckon there’s no point in chasing shadows so I would wait till the ink was used up before changing, it would make more sense than to have to profile the Pro 1 ink for your Pro 10... :eek:

William Seaward

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 1, 10, 100
I have a color munki so a custom profile would not be a problem. However, its sounds like I should get the Signature Edition ink for the Pro 10 (since that is the ink I need) and to use up the ink I have now for the Pro 1.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
The Pro-1 and Pro-10 uses the same colors except that the Dark gray on the Pro-1 is the Gray on the 10.
The Signature Edition series set a landmark reference that has actually transcended into some other lines. The development of the Pro-1000 inkset created a need to make better matching ( where even custom profiles would not be practical) and a new methodology of matching was created. This migrated to the 10 and 1 to yield various choices of accuracy and performance. If a particluar ink could not cut it, then you know or else use the suggested OEM in its place. It ain't just refilling anymore...it is a solid option for many that have advanced up the Image Quality scale to match OEM as close as possible. Even if you custom profile, the results with a tight OEM match are unmistakeable as compared to mish mash inksets.

This same methodology has migrated over to the Epson line as well and will soon be announced and the level of accuracy has been the BEST to date by ANYBODY before and possibly in the future. If you want it better, then it is OEM, nothing else comes as close. Period. With solid confidence. Where there might have been some weaknesses before, they have been addressed fully. Once the stocks are in place then the announcements will commence.

William Seaward

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 1, 10, 100
@milking In the Signature Editions inks, are there any shared colors for the pro 1 and pro 10. If so, I will want to buy larger quantities of those inks.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
The Pro-10 is identically a shared subset of the Pro-1 inks. The only catch is the Dark gray you need to be careful of as mentioned above. That the Pro-10 works with only the Dark gray of the Pro-1 and the Pro-1 goes towards using two lighter shades of gray is indicative of where the merits of the Pro-1 is. These lighter shadings help control the luminance of all colors thus you should expect to see better graduated tones with the Pro-1. Not necessarily superior color but all graduations will be smoother and more controlled and significantly less grain. I use the word syrupy because like syrup you can "feel" the smoothness of color transitions.