Possible to disable pigment ink on iPF670? Thinking of upgrading from iX6820

nate128

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WF-7610
I have a few questions about avoiding the black pigment ink cartridge on these printers.

First, I purchased the iX6820 a few months ago. It's important that I avoid the pigment cartridge when printing my designs (too long to explain why but I can only use Dye Based inks on my paper). I read that as long as I don't choose "Plain Paper", the black pigment cartridge won't be used. I choose the "Hagaki A" mode because the color seems the most accurate and it's fairly fast compared to the others. I notice however that somehow the ink level of the pigment cartridge decreases, although very very slowly. Does anybody know why that is? I haven't done any printhead cleanings yet so I'm not sure why the pigment ink level would decrease if I'm not using Plain Paper.

Second, I'm thinking of upgrading to a iPF670 so that I can use roll paper. However, It's such a large investment for me right now and I worry about this pigment vs dye issue. It would be a deal breaker if I can't avoid the pigment cartridge like I do with the iX6820. Does this printer work the same way, meaning would choosing anything other than "Plain Paper" avoid the pigment cartridge?

I appreciate anyone's help.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The iX6820 does an automated print head cleaning at power on and at some intervals determined by timers and counters. This is necessary to keep the print head in good working order. This automated cleaning uses ink from all cartridges, pigment black inclusive.

I know nothing about the iPF670.

nate128

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WF-7610
The iX6820 does an automated print head cleaning at power on and at some intervals determined by timers and counters. This is necessary to keep the print head in good working order. This automated cleaning uses ink from all cartridges, pigment black inclusive.

I know nothing about the iPF670.

Thanks I should have known that. Didn't even think about that for some reason.

Does anybody else know whether the IPF670 bypasses the pigment ink cartridge when not selecting Plain Paper?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@nate128, There’s another problem with that idea, some Apps. will use some pigment ink when outputting on certain other media surfaces, Duplex printing will also do the same regardless of media selected, so choose wisely which App. you use to print from.

I have several pigment printers that will use small amounts of Matte black when printing onto photo glossy paper but, yet the printer is only to suppose to use photo black, go figure..
P.S. you could put dye ink into the pigment cartridge..