Possible print head clog with IP4500

tsu3000

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have an Canon IP4500 and after doing a Nozzle Check test print I noticed that the PGBK "grid" pattern did not come out at all. The rest of the print patterns were fine. Does this mean I have a clog in the print head for the PGBK cartridge? I decided to do some quick tests. This is what I found

1) Photos seems to print fine on glossy and plain paper. Photo blacks ok.
2) Text from MS Word prints fine using glossy and plain paper.

The question is: Do I have to worry about the nozzle check test print not coming out as expected with regards to the PGBK? Or should I investigate further and try to clean the heads?

Thanks in advance.

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Some questions:

* Can you upload a scan or photo of what the nozzle check looks like?

* Perhaps "Alignment" would help? You might have the it print the "Before" values, and compare with the values "After" you've done an Auto alignment.

* When you print text, what MediaType are you specifying?

* Do you use the printer for photos, text, or a mixture?

* What kind of ink are you using? Canon oem or non-oem?

* What kind of cartridges are you using? Canon oem or non-oem "compatibles"?

* Have you done a regular cleaning cycle and/or deep cleaning cycle? Make any difference?

* Anything changed since the last time you got a good nozzle check?

* How old is the printer? About how many photos and text have you done? Still under warranty?

tsu3000

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have uploaded a scan of the nozzlecheck on plain paper:

3646_nozzlecheck.jpg

As you can see the PGBK row is almost non existent. There are a few specks of ink indicated by the arrows. I will answer the questions in turn:

- I have done the auto alignment but that did not improve matters. BTW how would I get "values" from doing this? Is there a log file somewhere?
- I use plain paper for text and specifying it as plain paper media type in the print settings.
- I mainly use the printer for photos say 98% of the time.
- I use HobbiColors inks.
- The carts are the original Canon OEM's since new.
- So far I have done 2 cycles of normal cleaning and 2 cycles of deep cleaning on the PGBK cart only. It made no difference.
- Nothing has changed with regards to inks, paper or general usage since the last nozzle check.
- I got the printer from new about 2 years ago so its out of warranty. I am a low volume user. I perhaps use the printer for photos about 2-3 times a month and for text about 1 page every 2-3 months.

I only use the printer for text on plain paper to get the PGBK ink "flowing" if that makes any sense. So that the PGBK ink is not just sitting there for months/years of non use. Probably this is flawed logic and maybe due to lack of use it's somehow clogged the heads. I have only done 2 refills for PGBK. The other carts I have done 4 refills. All using HobbiColors ink.

Maybe if this issue ever gets resolved, would it be a good idea not to use the PGBK ink at all? I purchased the printer mainly for photos and use a laser for text.

Thanks.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
tsu3000
I wouldnt print any head alignments or anything else till you get the PGBK black sorted out first.

Your black print head is completely bunged up from lack of use so will need to be cleaned.
Your best option is to remove your print head from your printer and soak it over night in some Windex.

Submerge it about 1" deep in the solution and leave it to soak.
Next day dry it off with a paper towel and leave it somewhere warm to dry.

Made sure it is completely dry before putting it back in the printer.
Put a couple of drops of Windex on each of the inlets where the cartridges sit and do that two or three time over half an hour.

Then put in your cartridges while there is Windex on the inlets and do a head clean followed by a nozzle check.
If the quality still isnt good remove the black or colour cartridges again and repeat the Windex
on each of the inlets then do a deep head clean followed by a nozzle check.

You may need to do a few head cleans on the black to get a good clear nozzle check over the next hour
or so leaving the printer to stand for a while between head cleans..

tsu3000

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The Hat

Thanks for the tips. Would submerging the print head with 1" of the solution damage the circuit board? I am based in UK is there an alternative to "Windex"?

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Here is a link to Windolene, an auto glass window cleaner available at Halfords in the UK.

You said in your first post that "Text from MS Word prints fine using glossy and plain paper". Does this mean when you are telling the printer that you are printing on plain paper and you are using black text, that it prints fine? That's really hard to believe. What about from Notepad?

You may have a clog in your pigment black ink purge system, in which case you will never be able to get any cleanings to work so check it out first. In tests that I have done, it appears that Hobbicolors pigment black ink may have the same problem that my older Inktec pigment black ink had in that it would clog the purge system.

To find out if your purge system is working, follow the instructions on this link.

As was pointed out, you shouldn't print anything except nozzle checks. An alignment is of no value unless your nozzles are working anyway.

tsu3000

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
ghwellsjr

Thanks for the link. I will check out the glass cleaner. As a matter of interest would any glass cleaner be suitable as long as it contained the same ingredients?

I did one more test with black text printing on plain paper and yes you are correct - there is no print. I made a mistake in my first test and forgot to change the media type to plain paper - *doh*.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
tsu3000 Would submerging the print head with 1" of the solution damage the circuit board? I am based in UK is there an alternative to "Windex"?
There will be no problem submerging the print head just as long as you remember to dry it properly afterwards
(most important) that is to insure that there will be no damage done to your electronics.

Try Lidl for you window cleaner I use their brand (W5) = Windex. :)

Please dont print anything more till this problem is fixed,
otherwise you run the risk of damanaging the print head permently.. :(

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I generally put a paper towel, folded over several times, at the bottom of a plastic refrigerator container. Put enough windex in the container to cover the paper towel plus a little bit more. sit the printhead in the container (nozzle side down in the windex, of course!), and use a syringe to put windex on the ink intake screens of the printhead. After a half hour or more soak I pump the printhead up and down on the paper towel to get the windex to flow through the nozzles. I also continue to add windex to the intake screens. Each color that is clear will show the pumping action at the top of the screen with fluid moving up and down. You can also see which nozzles become clear by the appearance of the paper towel, which I change when stained, and the pumping action of the fluid at the top of the screens. I then carefully run a small stream of hot tap water directly from the faucet onto the screens, being careful to not get the electronics on the back wet. Keep repeating until the nozzles are all clear or you find that one or more just won't clear at all. For serious clogs, an overnight soak may work.

The nozzles that are most difficult to clear are with the pigmented ink. Do I recall that Pharmacist had a magic brew to help clear those nozzles?