Portable Printer turns off when I plug in Parallel cable?

rmacmaho

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
When I plug in the Centronics parallel cable the printer turns off.

I bought several printers at an auction. They are the IBM 4070IJ portable printer and the Canon BJ-10E. They did not come with power supplies but I have a large variable power supply that I dialled up the required 9.5volts on. Have also tried 12volt supply as well same issue.

I can get them to print the test page but as soon as I plug in the parallel cable they turn off. It does not matter if my PC is turned on or off same result. Unplug from printer and it starts. Unplug from PC and it also starts.

I have tried about 4 of the IBMs and 2 of the Canons - all the same? These printers do take rechargeable batteries (which were not supplied with printers) but I dont think this is the issue (you can swithc this off at the back).

There don't seem to be any DIP switches that make any difference.

I have also tried three different PCs ranging from 233mhz to newer 1Ghz. I Also tried three different parallel cables. Even checked one of these on another printer works fine.

Can anyone help with some ideas on what to try next. I can see this being one of those super simple fixes but I just can't solve it. Any idea's to test next greatly appreciated.