Pixma TS8120, no replacement inks...??

Rickkins

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I just can't seem to win.
Contacted my usual source for ink, Precision Colors and he told me there is no chip resetter for my new printer.
Nothing at all on ebay.

Once I saw the carts it took, I just assumed there'd be ink etc available for it.

How badly am I screwed..??

Thanks.

Edit:

Rickkins

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I usually research these things better. Fact is, with all the kids outta the house now, me and the wife don't actually use it all that often.

Anyway, thanks. Guess I was a little annoyed that I didn't do a better job checking this thing out in advance....

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
with all the kids outta the house now, me and the wife don't actually use it all that often.
You can get over the disappointment pretty quickly if you taught about getting a 3D printer, it would be a whole new experience for both you and the misses. :hugs

But you’ll have to watch out, because the kids might want to come back...:lol:

peter D

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-100
I'd be patient and keep an eye on Aliexpress.com .
Some of the vendors on that site offer compatible replacement chips for OEM cartridges before chip resetters become available.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The video is titled "Canon Pixma TS8120 Printer Reset Procedure (280 & 281 Ink Cartridges)" but does not show a reset. Instead the procedure shown is the disabling of ink level monitoring. This procedure has been possible since the PGI-5/CLI-8 cartridges were introduced. Using this disabling of ink monitoring is registered in the printer's EEPROM and the warranty is void.

Attempting to print with an empty cartridge can damage the print head, so it is important to stop printing and refill when a cartridge is getting low on ink. The PGI-5/CLI-8 cartridges are transparent so visual control of ink level is possible, but the newer cartridges are opaque so visual control is not an option.

It is recommended in the video that you monitor print quality and stop printing at the first sign of ink starvation and refill the cartridge. I think it might be better to keep the cartridges topped up by frequent refills before ink starvation occurs. For topping up top filling is a good refill method.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
There is no shortcut to cartridges refilling, disaster is just waiting for you at the next turn, it’s a mugs game to disable the ink monitoring on the printers with opaque cartridges.

Wait for a Resetter or use filled compatibles, or be prepared to purchase another print head...:hu

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
There was one thing I forgot to mention. Some say disabling the ink monitoring leads to an increase in print head purging, increasing ink usage and shorting the absorber life by filling it up quicker and so also shortening the printer life, as these new printers most likely cannot have the ink absorber counter reset by the user.

Can anybody confirm or deny this?