Pixma PRO10 Ink guidance needed

okrobie

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma PRO10
Hi, I have this Canon PRO10 that I'm planning to sell but I want to get it printing before I put it on the market. It has been sitting on the shelf for over 3 years and it doesn't print. It was printing beautifully before it was put up. Obviously I will have to buy new cartridges. I have always been a stickler for using genuine OEM cartridges, but For this printer they are over $110 for a full set. Should I buy Genuine Canon cartridges or can I get away with using generics in this case? Or should I sell it "as-is" and let the buyer decide? Thanks

P.S. I will also soon be facing the exact same dilemma with an Epson R1900

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I'm planning to sell but I want to get it printing before I put it on the market.
There you have a very big dilemma, obviously you want to sell the printer, but 1] it’s not working and it may need a new print head and all new cartridges to restore it to fully functionality.

2] the initial cost of cartridges and head will out weight the price you’ll get for the printer when it’s fully working again, in a nut shell you have a printer that is worthless without these two upgrades.

3] You could get a set of generic carts and see if you can get the printer back working again but you may also do further unknown damage to the current print head because of your lack of experience at diagnosing this printers problems.

4] unless you can restore the printer back to its original state (100% Working) then no one in their right mind will buy it, so either offer it free to a good home or car boot sale and cut your losses, because nobody wants a big door stop on their hands.

Sorry for been so blunt but reality is never quite what it seems… Ironically the Pro 10 is a great printer...

okrobie

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma PRO10
Hi Hat, thanks for your thoughtful reply. It was spot on.

By the looks of your hat and the fact that you have posted over 11K of messages, I'm betting that you've kissed the Blarney Stone.

I should have listened to my wife in the first place. She said basically the same thing. You're not going to get it working, don't spend our hard earned money on it and put it on the curb. It took her fewer words. She's German. I'm the Mic in the crowd... Cheers!!!