Pixma Pro 1 - no power problem

DoMiester

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma Pro 1
Hello all, A newbie here with a sad problem!

Just recently bought a secondhand PIXMA pro 1. It arrived yesterday and will not power on. I have tried searching the web but can’t find much information on how to troubleshoot this problem.

The printer wasn’t very expensive but I understood it was working. As it weighs a lot the carriage is probably going to be high to return it. A Canon technician will also cost and could be a case of good money after bad.

Im quite handy and wanted to try a few things to see if I could establish what the problem might be before taking any next steps. Any help appreciated in trying to troubleshoot and ultimately fixing the issue.

Thanks Dom

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Hi @DoMiester and welcome, Firstly you have been sold a very large heavy Lemon, the fact that it wont turn on is proof of that, and been handy is not a good accolade either, this printer does not like intruders, it knows how to fight back.

The best suggestion I can give you to save a lot of time, is to dump it in the trash, because sending the printer to a Canon Authorised dealer would be a complete no, no, and a new Pro 1 would nearly be as cheap.

But if you want to suffer the courier cost, the repair bill, the accessories bill and the return courier costs to get the printer back, then think again, the best option is to get a Pro 10 and put this awful experience behind you..

Sorry I couldn’t be more helpful..

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Stupid question but I'm assuming you've tried changing the fuse in the plug... assuming it's a model that has a fuse in the power lead.

DoMiester

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma Pro 1
Hi @The Hat - don't hold back lol...
I think you are probably right unfortunately! Also I see you are a local lad so I guess you know the price of service techs in the area!

@websnail I tried a different cable last night with no luck!

I was looking at the power supply unit which seems to be held in by a couple of plastic nail type fixings, I read somewhere that removing it might reset the printer but I have no idea how to get these out as they don't accept any of my small screwdriver heads! Any ideas?

I think its stuffed which is sad because I was looking forward to running a few top quality photographs off it!

@The Hat - why do you recommend the Pro 10 over the Pro 1? What I would really like is the Pro 1000 but it is a hefty price!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
why do you recommend the Pro 10 over the Pro 1? What I would really like is the Pro 1000 but it is a hefty price!
The cost of repair to the Pro 1 is so prohibitive, that you’d properly get a new Pro 10 for less, the Problem with getting a Pro 1000 is: you’d run out of wall space very quickly, A3 prints are bad enough... ;)

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
The cost of repair to the Pro 1 is so prohibitive, that you’d properly get a new Pro 10 for less, the Problem with getting a Pro 1000 is: you’d run out of wall space very quickly, A3 prints are bad enough... ;)

Only the number of posts about Pro 1 problems says enough.

How many about the Pro10 (or the Pro9500) ?

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
I tend to agree about the Pro1, but don’t tell it to @The Hat..:D

Problem with the Pro1000, apart from foot print, is that it isn’t intended for domestic use. Anything else than OEM ink seems a bad idea if you want to stay away from trouble, ARC apparently don’t work very well ( see Jtoolman last videos), single use chips are expensive and we all know about OEM ink cost.
If you live in the USA, big ink tanks for the Pro2000 can be purchased at reasonable prices and the ink transferred to smaller Pro1000 cartridges. Jtoolman does that. Even so, it’s much more expensive than PC or Octoinkjet inksets for Pro10/Pro100.

Professional users selling prints can afford the cost of consumables because they charge it to the customer. People like many of us, who doesn’t makes any profit, must be prepared to spend a considerable amount of money to run properly a Pro1000; much more in the long term than the price paid for the printer itself.

mazy_pishi

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson T50-P50-R270-1410-L800
If its dead it could be either from power supply or the main board unit AKA formatter board.
A sudden loss is mostly from power supply unit which it could be repaired.
Post a picture of it maybe I could help.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
If its dead it could be either from power supply or the main board unit AKA formatter board.
A sudden loss is mostly from power supply unit which it could be repaired.
Post a picture of it maybe I could help.
There is nothing wrong with the O/P Pro 1 printer mechanically or electronically, its purely software related and deliberate and only a trip to Canon Service will revive the beast.. :(

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
A DOA (Dead On Arrival) printer should be grounds for refund. If you paid with a credit card or service like PayPal then contact them and dispute the purchase if the seller does not provide reasonable remedy. There may be other legal remedies available in your location.

Give the seller a chance to fix this first. If he does not then do not delay communicating with your credit card company or others that may help. You might want to communicate the situation with your credit card company or other service involved in the transaction now in order to get the ball rolling. They may add a little pressure on the seller to remedy.