Pixma Pro-1 B200 error

Jsw

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-1
After many years of problem free printing I have run into the B200 error on my Pixma Pro-1. Some weeks back I started up the printer and got a message that the printer didn't have enough ink to clean itself. I changed all the ink tanks in one sweep with Canon original inks (I have never used third party inks) the printer went into cleaning mode and finished. I printed out a test image and thought the nozzles maybe were unaligned and checked them. They were slightly and were automatically corrected. I printed out a test image print that looked fine. Two weeks later I printed out an image which came out pale and showed banding and was about to retry cleaning the print heads when the B200 error came up. And the printed locked up with the 10+10 flashing lights. I have tried letting it sit unplugged but that didn't help. I even tried the button pressing memory clearing tricks suggested here to no avail.
The printer is old but not "over used". I print perhaps something once per month.
I have read through the forum threads here and presume that the only way to get the printer running is to take it apart and try to free the print head. It's locked over on the right side at present.
The Canon service centre here is about to stop servicing the Pixma pro-1 as it is deemed too old. Spare parts will no longer be available from 1st September. And the service costs of around 400$ with shipping suggest buying a new printer to be a better option.
Any ideas? Thank you.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
That’s a tuff decision to make, do you try and salvage the beast or cut your losses and buy a new printer, but I’m afraid you’re the only one that can answer that one. New Pro 300 is very expensive..

If you wish we can try and save her from the recycling bin, now unlocking the printer is not going to be easy, because when you have any error messages this printer, even when unlocked, won’t respond to any commands while under these conditions.

It’s possible to trick the printer into responding while it has this error, but you’ll need to remove all your ink tanks from the printer first, then power it on and that may reset the B200 error long enought for you to gain partial access for print head removal.

If all this sounds difficult and you’re not willing to get your hands dirty then there’s no point in proceeding, but I can say there is little taking apart needed with these procedures.

P.S. Can you also post here your latest nozzle check for evaluation, that would be very helpful..

I even tried the button pressing memory clearing tricks suggested here to no avail.
I never heard of that procedure before, can you elaborate more on it please ?

Jsw

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-1
Thank you Hat for responding so quickly.
Here's the link to the button procedure: https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/...ers/PIXMA-PRO-10-Error-Code-B200/td-p/190970#

It appears to have helped some people but all I got was a continuous yellow/orange lamp glowing when I tried it. Restarted the printer and was back to B200 flashing lamps again.

I think I will (carefully) remove the side covers, pop open the ink tank covers and remove the inks and see if that works before I send the printer to be recycled as scrap. I believe I have an old pdf that has been posted in the forum about how to accomplish that.

I am including here the last nozzle check and a jpg of the very last A4 print that came out of the Pixma Pro-1 several weeks later, just before the B200 error and it locked up. Major banding on the print.

nozzle_7147.jpg
jswebb_7148.jpg

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
It appears to have helped some people but all I got was a continuous yellow/orange lamp glowing when I tried it. Restarted the printer and was back to B200 flashing lamps again.
As I suspected that procedure is worthless for the Pro 1 printer and should never be used because that’s likely what caused the printer to lock up in completely.

99 times out of a hundred the B200 relates to the print head been Fubar, and there is no coming back from that, and a new genuine replacement is needed, and your nozzle print also confirms what the issues were.

P.S. You should not print anything other than nozzle checks when you’re having issues with your print quality..

Jsw

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-1
Ok thanks. Appreciate your considerations and knowledge.
The printer was already locked up with the B200 error as far as I could tell, so honestly I don't think the procedure made things worse, but whatever it certainly didn't do any good or change its status, but no matter done is done.

I have now tried taking out the ink tanks and restarted, but it's the same old same old B200 with a click now on start-up.

So I guess it's either trying to find a new print head, which is even harder now that Canon is stopping selling spares for the Pro-1 as of 1st Sept according to the service bureau here and expensive as far as I can discern, then taking the printer apart to get at the head to change it, or dumping the Pro-1 and buying something more modern with pigment inks.
Any suggestions for a reliable newer model pigment A3+ printer?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
something more modern with pigment inks
In ascending chronological order of Canon pigment ink prosumer "newness":
  1. Pro 10
  2. Pro 1000
  3. Pro 300
If you plan on refilling then the Pro 300 is NOT the printer for you. There is no chip resetter as of yet and will only run if you disable ink level monitoring.

You can call Canon Sales and ask them about print head availability for the models. Canon Sales often have the best price on print heads in the USA

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I can discern, then taking the printer apart to get at the head to change it, or dumping the Pro-1 and buying something more modern with pigment inks.
As I previous said the printer was in that state because someone (Before you ?) tried an unauthorised procedure on it and the printer reacted in the manner it did, the Pro 1 has an intelligent AI chip that won’t allow any messing with its software or internally.

The object of the exercise with the ink tank removal was to see if the printer would start up briefly and allow for the easy removal of the printer head without having to partially dissemble the printer, so when the printer powers on, you remove the power plug promptly..

The removal of the print head is relatively straight forward with the proper instructions and there is no need to dissemble the printer at all, but if the head is still locked on the purge unit then the top cover must be removed with caution..

There are new print heads for the Pro 1 available but expensive as you say and you’ll also lose 50% of the remaining inks in all 12 carts, that’s why a new printer might be a better alternative, but the Bitch will work again with a new head installed..

Me, I’d look at the list provided by @stratman, because you still don’t know what the previous owner did to the printer or whether it will work after head installation, it’s a bit of an unknown costly situation..

Jsw

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-1
Thank you again for your help.
If I want to disassemble the printer and try replacing a new head (it's still a lot cheaper than buying a new printer and then it might at least with some care and attention last some good few years more) how do I go about it.? The sides are already off. I am not worried about using a screwdriver and some gentle persuasion, but I am sure there's a good way and bad way of doing it.

I live in the EU and the heads don't seem to be that easy to find. I came across a French site but I am wondering if they are genuine heads. I'll try phoning Canon support to see if it's possible to buy from them, but so far they haven't been at all helpful. I have heard the warnings about buying via Ebay.
Maybe it's a gamble but worth a try?

Attachments

• canon.jpg
    canon.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 136

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I have heard the warnings about buying via Ebay.
Maybe it's a gamble but worth a try?
If you wish to proceed with the replacement of the print head, the first thing you need is to purchase the head and if you’re worried about dodgy sites selling heads then post the link to the website here and we can determine if they are genuine or not.

Don’t not proceed with any more dis-assembly till you have received the new head and please stay away from all Canon support sites because they’re as useless as a tit on a bull and don’t know a thing about the Pro 1 printer.

The top cover removal is fairly easy and only takes about 5 minutes but you do need access to all sides of the printer(360), so it needs to be in a clear space, the instructions with photos we’ll give you, but first purchase the new head, the box should have a hologram on its lid..