Pixma i4950 B200 error and advice on possible replacement

shaung

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon I4950
Hi, first post.

My 4950 has given sterling service for many years but this week when putting new cartridges in (always used compatibles but refilled in the past as well) 2 of the cartridges are not being accepted, the red light only comes on if I apply pressure so seems a connection issue.

I have replaced with different but still the same.
I have tried cleaning the contacts (Electrical contact cleaner) but no difference.
Just in case I also cleaned the ink ports but all were fine, no blockages.

Anything else I can try before this gets consigned to printer heaven?

If it has to go then I would be grateful for suggestions on a replacement.

These days I only print about 20 sheets a week mainly text although that may change if my job hunting moves to having to start up for myself and print flyers etc. Hope not though.

It need to be able to print to CD as I do the odd disc.

I will be refilling or using compatibles.

I have a fairly new Canon scanner so don't need that facility unless it can't be avoided.

I read in another post that The Hat recommended one from the Maxify range but I need to keep costs down right now.

Thank you for any input.

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
Hard to say where is your problem.

That symptom is more often than not related to dirty/oxidized contacts or faulty chips.
If you cleaned well the contacts and replaced the offending carts ( with brand new ones I suppose) and it didn’t work, then it can be only the printer.

By any chance are you using a resetter ?. If it’s battery powered, sometimes an ailing battery might damage/fail to reset properly the chip.
Anyway, if the red light is steadily on when you press down the cartridge, I don’t think this is the problem either. Dead chips don’t talk, even if pushed hard,

What else ? Logic board failure or broken/corroded wires somewhere in the path from the wires underneath the chips to the innards of the machine.
Corroded wires are rare, although it happened to me once with a Canon Pro9000 and it drove me nuts for a while. It’s an slow process and first the symptoms are randomly intermittent until the wire is totally broken, then the printer can’t see the cart. anymore and this is it. During the final stages of the corrosion, pushing the cart into the slot may re-establish the contact for a moment and releasing the pressure, to lose it again.
What it would be an extraordinary coincidence is two simultaneous cases of an already rare occurrence.

If I had to bet, it’s an electronic problem but with inkjet printers you never know for sure.

Sorry I can’t be of more help. As a last resource, check carefully that none of the golden wires underneath the chips are bent or misaligned. You could also swap those two cartridges in the faulty slots with some of the other colors that are OK and tell us what happens (no red light at all, flashing light, error message on the monitor, anything..)

PS
Maxifys can’t print directly to CD/DVDs. Regardless of price, if you need this feature, they’re not for you

Last edited:

shaung

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon I4950
Not used a resetter on these carts.

Well I swapped the "bad" 526 with another and they both lit up suggesting that it was fixed, can't do that with the other "bad" cart as that's the Black 525.

However a little further presses and the 525 has stayed lit, so Thunderbirds are go on all 5 carts. Happy me.

Closed the lid and it went on it's merry way and gave me back the B200 code/flashing lights :(

I think it must be something further down as the jolt in shifting it down from the parked access position might be doing the damage?

I've tried laying some gaffer tape across all 5 carts in an attempt to keep them secure to resist any vibration but no joy.

What is different now is that in turning it off then back on I now get all 5 lit when in the access position.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
B200 code/flashing lights
Googling "Canon B200" will result in many web pages dedicated to this error. Give the suggestions a try.

However, unless the there is a problem of an incorrectly seated print head then your machine is most likely on it's last gasps. The odds of obtaining a new print head are slim at best and if you do locate one it may be used and have some problem of its own. You may find your print head will work again but this will in all likelihood be temporary. Sorry.

Thank the printer spirits for the longevity you've experienced and then adopt a new printer into your home.

shaung

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon I4950
I hate to give up on things and hunted around for any miracle cures before I came here but I think I will have to agree that this printer has jetted its last. Replacement heads, at least those that are cheaper than buying a new printer, are refurbished so as you say just a gamble.
The TS705 I was looking at to replace it seems to be discontinued and no stock so the hunt continues...

shaung

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon I4950
Well, stock of the TS705 seems to have hit everywhere so today I'm now the owner of one :)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
stock of the TS705 seems to have hit everywhere so today I'm now the owner of one
Congratulations! Happy printing. :thumbsup