Pixma 922 alternating between light and dark print

Osla M.

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma 922
Hello, everyone. First time poster. I am NOT a very technically-minded person. I would be forever grateful for any insight anyone can provide.

I'm having a problem with my beloved Canon Pixma 922. I've uploaded a printed page to give you an idea what it is doing. It is alternating between light and dark print. I've used the same off-brand ink cartridges for years with no problems. I did do something wrong right before this started happening. I put in a new cyan cartridge and did not realize that this particular cartridge had a piece of plastic covering the ink hole which needed to be peeled off. If I remember correctly, it was not a sticker that was completely stuck down to the cartridge but was flying free. So I was running my printer for a while with the piece of plastic on the cyan cartridge--which is next to the large black cartridge. I am wondering if I have done some damage.

What I have already tried:

1. All the ink cartridges are good to go (no more stickers to peel off and everything is full :)
2. I performed a nozzle cleaning.
3. I performed a roller cleaning.
4. I performed an auto head alignment.
5. I then performed a manual head alignment.

Thank you for any help anyone can provide.
Osla.

Attachments

• Printer problem.png
    Printer problem.png
    590 KB · Views: 108

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Could you upload a scan or photo of a nozzle check print? My guess is that either the upper or lower half of the pigment black grid pattern has changed into a picket fence like pattern like this, click to enlarge:

MP800 2 PH kaput.jpg

This error is caused by an electronic print head defect, and only a new print head will restore printing to normal.

The print head type for your printer is QY6-0086. Only buy from Canon or an authorized dealer of Canon spare parts. You will find cheap printheads from Ebay, Amazon and others, but these printheads from China are used and "refurbished" and most likely defective out of the box.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
You're probably right. The poster has got two more posts linking to his website

Last edited: