Pixma 6600d / 6700d case removal

decomplexity

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pixma 6600d
I have a Canon Pixma 6600d (similar externally to the 6700d). I am trying to remove the top case so that I can refresh the waste ink absorber pads.

Removal of the side cases and almost all of the top case is easy, but I cannot see how to free the remaining part of the case that sits around (and partially behind) the card reader and USB sockets feature on the RH front.

Any ideas pls?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The service manual has a disassembly instruction starting at page 1-15. You find the service manual here.

Druckerchannel.de has an excellent article about changing the absorber pads on a Canon Pixma iP6600d/6700d. The article is in German, and here is a not so excellent translation to English.

After changing or cleaning the waste ink absorbers, you will need to reset the absorber counter from service mode. Be aware that there is an error in the service manual, please read this warning before attempting service mode operations.

Last edited:

decomplexity

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pixma 6600d
Many thanks for that. The Druckerchannel.de link has the key bit of information with two photos of exactly where the front RH case release lever is. Even then you cannot see it - it is inside the case and you have to feel for it with a screwdriver. And (for anyone else with the same problem) you push on the screwdriver from left to right (not to the front or back).
I think Canon must have a touch of schadenfreude to have built it this way!

Beware of poking a screwdriver into the other small square hole (the one above is rectangular) a bit to the right: this contains the tiny plastic tray-up/tray-down sensor lever. If you break this, the printer will give an 'open the output tray' message when you try to print.
If you do break the lever (which I did...) , just bridge the two wires on the lever base (which is still hopefully in the case) with a few mm of wire and a blob of solder. This will tell the printer that the tray is always open - so make sure it is!

Last edited: