Pigmented black doesn't print (iP4300)

videobruce

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon IP4300 & Panny KX-MB271
The printhead good, so is the pigmented black cart. They were both checked in another 4300. This is what appears to be a unused printer as the purge pads are mostly still white!

The other four (dye based) colors print ok. There are no error lights or errors shown in Win7. Any ideas? This appears to be unused since the purge pads are mostly still white.

There was no printhead in the printer when I received it (the seller wasn't even aware of this). :rolleyes:

videobruce

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
I will add, the printhead & carts were immediately taken out of a active same model printer. When done returned to that printer and the pigmented black still printer ok there.
I initially tried a unknown printhead from another 4300 which was dead (no power up at all), but it returned the 5 blinking lights of a 'bad' printhead which was then tossed as was the printer since I'm sure it had a bad logic board (from past experiance).

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@videobruce, It’s more than likely that the purge unit is bunged up with dried old ink and will need to be unblocked before the printer will show a good nozzle check on all colours.

Here is a post describing how to clean a purge unit, but you might be better off leaving the Windex to pool for several hours to see if that will clear the blockage first, because if it doesn’t then you’ll have to remover the purge unit to service it by hand yourself, it’s a easy job but just slightly messy..

http://www.printerknowledge.com/thr...was-pretty-much-empty.10648/page-3#post-91396

videobruce

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Please re-read my OP.
The pads in the purge unit are almost all white (not like that photo in your link) which means it was never used. That was one of the 1st things I look for.
I did a quick search and found Canon had a rebate on this, along with mark downs, it was probably bought for the printhead & carts which would of added up to mote than the final cost of the printer. It was stored, then sold at a garage sale. The garage sale was fact as that came from the seller who bought it there.
If a set of carts & printhead work in one printer, then no in this, but work again in the 1st, nothing is clogged.

Yes, I was aware it could of been a solution, I did come across that elsewhere, but not in this case by a longshot.

videobruce

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
One more thing I forgot to add, those clear wiper blades in the purge unit were perfectly clear. Not a smudge on them.

I think the logic board got partially fried from the fried printhead.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
The only explanation that I can think of for a blank nozzle print on the pigment black is a failed purge unit, that’s why I suggested flooding the purge pads to see if the pump would reactivate itself and start to work once more, there can be any number of reasons why the purge unit is not working.

If the logic board was damaged in any way then the print head would have also got damaged and worse still would have happened, by testing this same print head in the other printer, it too would have had its logic board damaged by this print head, it can be like a virus and transmit to any other printer that this print head was fitted in, as I said the logic board is good and so is the print head, Luckily.. :)

videobruce

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Both of those pads are clear, not just the pig black. I'll give it a shot.

That 'virus 'scenario I am now well aware of the hard way as I never knew or had this 'virus' issue in the 10+ years of a i560 ownership.
So not to confuse, this 'bad' printhead was tossed when it was determined to be bad. This isn't the 'good' (in service) printhead I was referring to that is being used in the test.

Isn't it possible for one 'channel' (for lack of a better term) to be 'bad' in the logic board?

Last edited:

videobruce

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Slightly OT, but I bet that was the deal. $50 for 5 $15 carts & a $50 printhead with a printer thrown in;
https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/685621/

That reminds me of my Panny Laser printer for $100 (6 years ago); $120 for a replacement fuser and $60-70 (?) for a toner cartridge. I bought a 2nd one for the fuser. ;)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Isn't it possible for one 'channel' (for lack of a better term) to be 'bad' in the logic board?

These heads just don’t give up like that, this tends to happen gradually and gets worse with each printout, unless of course water was added into the equation somewhere a long the way.

But you already had check the print head and found it to be perfect, so when you have eliminated everything, whatever remains however improbable has to be the problem.. :hu