Pigment ink in Epson Et2710

michael.kanak

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Et2710
Hello dear printerknowledge users,

since i couldnt find anywhere an answer to my question, i am hoping that somebody here might be able to help.
I recently bought an Epson ET2710 printer. From my previous printer i still have about 4l of pigment ink remaining (1l for each color). It would be a pity if i couldnt use this ink anymore.
The catridges used in my epson printer is 104, C13T00P140. I think only the black ink is pigment based. Howeve,r i have read on some forums, that there might be a chance running it with pigment ink.
The pigment ink i have for my previous HP 8100 printer is from inkctek, on the label it says e.g for yellow:
1l yellow bottle: Recorder# H8940-01LY Bulk ink for Hp 940, 940xl, 951, 951Xl, 933, 933Xl, LG LIP3270W/3470DN.
Any help would be really much appreciated.

Many regards,
Michael

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
This printer model uses a printhead - 180 +3x59 nozzles - which is universally used by Epson in a wide range of printer models - small office, home use at the lower end of overall performance with this limited number of nozzles, these are WF- workforce models with cartridges and Ecotank printers L...and ET.... with ink tanks. The models oriented for office type use typically the Durabrite pigment inks, and the models for home use use dye inks for the colors and either a pigment black or a dye black as well. So yes, this printhead is capable to run with pigment inks, I have done that and I'm doing it , with refill pigment inks offered for use with Epson printers. But you are referring to HP compatible pigment inks which I didn't test so far. There might be a risk that such inks may not work reliably, you may give it a try and start with one color only to see whether it's working fine without the need to run more cleaning cycles. And you'll get into another issue - you'll see that colors have changed when you print photos, pigment inks may not give you the best results on glossy paper. But please be aware that you may loose warranty for this printer since you use consumables outside those as specified by Epson.

Last edited:

michael.kanak

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Et2710
Thanks a lot for this realy helpfull information and quick reply.
I will try first with one of the colors. Do i have to put out the remaining dye ink with a syringe and so to speak "prime" the catridge with the pigment ink? Or can i, when the catridge gets nearly empy, fill the pigment ink inside? A little of dye and pigment ink would then be mixed, i dont know if this might cause an unpleasant reaction with the inks.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
you are talking about a ET-2710 which has ink tanks installed, not cartridges. You may do a little test in a small glass - mixing 1-2 ml of both inks and watch whether you get any reaction - coalgulation - color change - some fall out/floccing after a short while. I would almost print down a color, then add 20ml of pigment ink and print 10 pages solid with that color, with a higher quality setting, that should move most of the ink through the tube out onto the paper. You may use the WICReset utility which has a command - 'Ink charge' which would do it as well, but all that ink gets pumped into the waste ink container shortening the residual usage time. You can check the printouts for any unusual patterns e.g. if some nozzled drop out and give you missing lines.

michael.kanak

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Et2710
Thank you for you help. I will wait until the ink is almost print down, and then try the method with printing solid colors on the pages (if there is no reaction between the inks). When finished i will report back here on the forum, maybe it can be of help for somebody else as well.

icarlos161

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson LX210
Hello, how did the experiment turn out? I too have a lot of Generic HP Inkjet Ink which I formerly used in my HP Photosmart D110. I now have an Epson L210 with external ink tanks. If anyone out there can help out, can I use my said remaining HP ink in my new Epson printer? Thanks!

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I used some of the HP tank system printer ink in an Epson WF-2010W which was printing fine, but be aware, that you might get some color shift

icarlos161

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson LX210
I did the test you mentioned. I mixed a bit of genuine Epson refill ink with a bit of my leftover generic HP refill ink, placed a few drops on plain paper and noticed a purplish hue. Not really a big deal though, hopefully. Will reply again here with results after I refill my Epson printer.

icarlos161

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson LX210
Completed a refill in my Epson Tanks. Only HP generic ink used was the Black one. Printed out successfully!!

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
I use Inktec HP compatible pigment ink (CMYK) in all my Epson Workforce printers and it does a very good job, because all bubblejet based pigment inks (used in HP and Canon) can be used without any problems in piezojet printers like Epson and Brother. Bubblejet printers boil their ink until a hot gas vapour bubble is formed, that forces the ink droplet to be ejected onto the paper surface, unlike piezojet printers, where an electric pulse causes crystal changes in volume, pushing the cold ink to be ejected onto paper. The other way is not garantueed, because Epson/Brother ink is formulated to be used for a cold process printing and boiling the ink can cause unwanted precipitation of pigments or clogs, that might irreversably damage bubblejet print head. So piezojet print heads can handle almost all types of inks, that is way they are so popular for UV-curing printing and DTG garment printing using dye sublimation inks.