Photosmart D5160 Tap 10 test: Order of nozzle check patterns?

DaveReading

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Photosmart D5160
I often use the Tap 10 test to check for possible nozzle blockages. This prints a series of nozzle check patterns across the top of the page, one for each colour of ink.

So, for example with Tri-colour and Photo cartridges installed, you get 6 check patterns for (in order from left to right) magenta, yellow, cyan, light magenta, photo black and light cyan (the last 3 obviously from the Photo cartridge).

With a Gray cartridge (HP 100) installed instead of the Photo cartridge, I get the same first three patterns (magenta, yellow, cyan), but then a gap where the first pattern from the Gray inks should be, followed by two further patterns in (differing) shades of gray/black.

See attached photo for the two Tap 10 nozzle check patterns.

I would very much like to find out which of the three gray/black inks (normally described as gray, dark gray and light photo black) is missing. One might have thought that information on which order the Tap 10 test prints the 3 nozzle patterns for the HP 100 would be readily available, but I can't find that anywhere.

Does anyone have this information? I can't believe it's some kind of official secret.

MTIA
Dave

Nozzle test patterns.jpg

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I searched for the specs for the HP100 photo grey cartridge. I didn't find anything in English, but i found the info at a Danish website. Maybe this link to Google translate will work, else you can use Google translate yourself.

It is seen that the colours in the cartridge are light grey, dark grey and photo black. Comparing your two nozzle tests it looks to me like the photo black is missing in test #2, as the two greys are lighter than the photo black in test #1.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Welcome to the forum, Dave.

I see you posted on DPReview 2 months ago and got no replies. We don't get much interest in HP inkjets, especially ones older like yours. Maybe a member here has experience with this printer.

I can't believe it's some kind of official secret.
I don't see the Tap 10 test in the User Manual. It is mentioned quite briefly on a site(s) other than HP web site on a Google search for "d5160 tap 10". Bizarre that an HP function on the printer that is easily and openly available to the user is not explained by the manual.

Your nozzle checks have a number of missing nozzles.
  • Do you use OEM cartridges? Aftermarket cartridges? Refill the OEM or aftermarket cartridges?
  • How long has the printer gone without use? How long for the HP100 cartridges?
  • Has the Tap 10 test ever worked with the HP100 cartridges?
  • What Operating System do you use?
Looks like your printer's cartridge each have their own built in print heads. Replacing a cartridge means a new print head along with fresh ink. The easiest thing to do is to try a new, never opened OEM HP 100 cartridge, especially since HP likes to block use of aftermarket cartridges. If the problem remains then there is something wrong with the printer, probably an electrical issue.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Does anyone have this information? I can't believe it's some kind of official secret
I think it is a secret from the service manual, which seems nowhere to be found.

I have a list of tap codes for the HP DJ 900 series of printers. This list is found in a service manual.

It looks like the HP 100 Photo grey cartridge is obsolete and unavailable, so you need to refill or maybe buy a remanufactured cartridge.

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I found some Tap codes on the HP web site, just not the directions for the D5160:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bpd50163

Maybe a Tap 41/43 test would be of help IF it is available on your printer.

The internal HP printer self-tests, including ‘Tap 10’ test, can be used to verify cartridge nozzle performance and that the printer's internal firmware is functioning properly. The Tap 41/43 diagnostic tests can provide valuable cartridge/printhead health diagnostics information (most models); as this is a forced service test the printer will attempt to print the ‘tap 41/43’ diagnostic page whether the ink cartridges are electrically good or not. The tests do not verify computer-printer connectivity.

https://fr.inkjet411.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/HP-Printer-Diagnostics_v18.pdf

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Notice special HP language: Pen recovery means printhead cleaning here, Level 1 is regular cleaning and level 2 and 3 are more intensive printhead cleaning.

DaveReading

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Photosmart D5160
Thanks for all the responses.

It would make sense that the missing nozzle check pattern is the Photo Black, as I know that corresponds to the left hand ink chamber in the cartridge - the corresponding chamber in both the Tri-colour and Photo cartridges (magenta in both cases) also prints first in their respective nozzle check patterns (as per my photo). It's good to get confirmation of that.

I do indeed appreciate that the printer is very old and some of the OEM cartridge types are no longer available. I'm currently looking at a more modern Canon/Epson replacement once my budget allows.

Thanks again.